Camping with Kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Osage Hills State park is nice. Deer all over the camping and cabin areas. Several nice hiking trails. (take deet for repelling ticks) They have a small stocked lake with boats that can be rented, or fish from the bank, or one can fish the creek running through the area.

Green leaf state park has nice cabins and camping areas with bank fishing if you don't have a boat.

Kaw lake at Ponca has nice camping areas at osage cove by the dam with nice bank fishing areas.

scottt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think for this first trip we'll try Chickasaw Recreation Area. We have quite a few other areas to try in the future thanks to your recommendations. There were a couple of suggestions for activities to keep the kids interested, does anyone else have any suggestions for activities? I asked the kids what they wanted to do and they said toast marshmallows, make smores, sleep in the tent and "walk in the scary forest".

cody6766,
Thanks for the suggestions on a nighttime routine. The pillows were a good idea.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think for this first trip we'll try Chickasaw Recreation Area. We have quite a few other areas to try in the future thanks to your recommendations. There were a couple of suggestions for activities to keep the kids interested, does anyone else have any suggestions for activities? I asked the kids what they wanted to do and they said toast marshmallows, make smores, sleep in the tent and "walk in the scary forest".

cody6766,
Thanks for the suggestions on a nighttime routine. The pillows were a good idea.
Scary forrest idea...

Take a couple of glow sticks, just before the hike sneak off and leave a trail of drips from the goo inside. Maybe even a few handprints on rocks or a tree. Its biodegradable and the kidos will be talking about it for weeks.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scary forrest idea...

Take a couple of glow sticks, just before the hike sneak off and leave a trail of drips from the goo inside. Maybe even a few handprints on rocks or a tree. Its biodegradable and the kidos will be talking about it for weeks.

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Oh yeah! When I was at boy scout camp, the older guys went out and put in "hairy man" foot prints in the dirt on the trails. The newbs got taken on the trail where the "foot prints" were pointed out, then the story about it "might" be the escaped crazy man came out.

there was always one of the old guys hidden in the woods that would let out a scream. I can assure you we grouped up like a herd of musk ox. Later on, it was my turn as one of the "older guys" to take the newbs out. Great fun. :D

Probably get arrested for doing that now.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm researching scary campfire stories now. lol. My son for some reason was writing his own to tell with his friend when they have sleepovers - of course, his are... ummm... kinda rough. ;)

We should have a good time.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which campground are you staying in? How old are your kids? Nature Center is nice as is the Chickasaw Cultural Center. Covered fishing docks at Guy Sandy and Point boat ramp areas. Maybe Buckhorn also, but not sure. Veterans Lake also has a nice fishing dock as well as bank fishing areas. Lots of hiking trails in the Platt District. Canoeing and kayaking available on Arbuckle. Horseback riding and atv rental also available in area. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom