Can a company be "Christian"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually they can be very Christian. I agree they probably should not invest in companies that make the Plan B drug, but investing the company is very different from paying for the use of that drug. If you are Christian, and you believe life begins at conception, than paying for the drug to abort a baby is comparable to murder, morally. Investing in the company that makes that drug and many others is not the same as being the hand that kills the baby.
I love guns, I assume you do too, because I support the second amendment as a member of the NRA and invest in firearms companies, as part of my portfolio, does not make me guilty of a when a criminal kills someone. However, if I knowingly gave the gun to a criminal for the purpose of killing someone, than I am guilty of the murder, morally and legally.
So essentially Jesus doesn't mind if a Christian makes money off a product/business that is direct conflict with His teachings? What about investing in abortion clinics? As long as I'm just making money out of it and not "getting my hands dirty," am I free and clear? What if My investment allows them to open a clinic that would have otherwise been a Jamba Juice? If my investment allowed them to reach customers that otherwise wouldn't have aborted, am I still in line with Christs teachings?

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would take anything in print from Mother Jones with a dump truck full of salt. They are just one step up from the Onion, as it relates to factual reporting

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take anything in print from Mother Jones with a dump truck full of salt. They are just one step up from the Onion, as it relates to factual reporting

The Mother Jones article states:

Documents filed with the Department of Labor and dated December 2012—three months after the company's owners filed their lawsuit—show that the Hobby Lobby 401(k) employee retirement plan held more than $73 million in mutual funds with investments in companies that produce emergency contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices, and drugs commonly used in abortions. Hobby Lobby makes large matching contributions to this company-sponsored 401(k).

Several of the mutual funds in Hobby Lobby's retirement plan have holdings in companies that manufacture the specific drugs and devices that the Green family, which owns Hobby Lobby, is fighting to keep out of Hobby Lobby's health care policies: the emergency contraceptive pills Plan B and Ella, and copper and hormonal intrauterine devices.

These companies include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, which makes Plan B and ParaGard, a copper IUD, and Actavis, which makes a generic version of Plan B and distributes Ella. Other holdings in the mutual funds selected by Hobby Lobby include Pfizer, the maker of Cytotec and Prostin E2, which are used to induce abortions; Bayer, which manufactures the hormonal IUDs Skyla and Mirena; AstraZeneca, which has an Indian subsidiary that manufactures Prostodin, Cerviprime, and Partocin, three drugs commonly used in abortions; and Forest Laboratories, which makes Cervidil, a drug used to induce abortions. Several funds in the Hobby Lobby retirement plan also invested in Aetna and Humana, two health insurance companies that cover surgical abortions, abortion drugs, and emergency contraception in many of the health care policies they sell.

Here is a digital copy of the HL IRS document that was filed.

Check out pages 30-31 which lists the holdings.

Includes multiple mutual funds, including index funds, that have holdings in the companies listed in the MJ article, according to the prospectus of those funds.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should go back to Sunday school learn why he flipped over the money exchangers table. It had nothing to do with his like or dislike of money or swords.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plan B can prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the womb, therefore it terminates a pregnancy.

A fertilzed egg is not a pregnancy. You can put a fertilized egg in a petri dish. Is that dish pregnant?

A pregnancy is a pregnancy.

"Can" and "does" are not the same thing. You're putting it in the category of many other, non-contaceptive medications.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My uncle used to take his girlfriend (my aunt eventually) for a fast car ride on a bumpy gravel road in eastern Oklahoma after a night of sex to prevent pregnancy.
Ban bumpy gravel roads!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should go back to Sunday school learn why he flipped over the money exchangers table. It had nothing to do with his like or dislike of money or swords.

I know what is taught, in fact if you knew and understood the Jewish situation as it relates to flipping tables, you could understand that HL aint following Jesus or his message.....more like Olsteens cult of Prosperity Gospel.

HL is hiding behind freedom of Religion to gain a economic edge and continue the fight of Roe v Wade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom