Can a company be "Christian"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never said anything you just accused me of; actually I said that they are not directly investing in the abortion pill itself, but a major company that makes the pill. The company also makes many other drugs. This is why I gave the example of giving a gun to someone for the purpose of killing someone is different than investing a company.
Now we can have a conversation about how many parts of His teachings we ignore on a daily basis by being a citizen of the United States, or just fitting into our perceived Christian culture.
Also, I believe Matthew said something about using His name to slander another is a sin. I think there may also be something about being a hypocrite in the mix, too.
Now, I am also a sinner for accusing you of being a sinner.
If you believe that having a diversified portfolio, which has holdings in a wide range of companies, than anyone who invests is going to have an issue.
I do agree, investing in an abortion clinic would be a sin.
So essentially Jesus doesn't mind if a Christian makes money off a product/business that is direct conflict with His teachings? What about investing in abortion clinics? As long as I'm just making money out of it and not "getting my hands dirty," am I free and clear? What if My investment allows them to open a clinic that would have otherwise been a Jamba Juice? If my investment allowed them to reach customers that otherwise wouldn't have aborted, am I still in line with Christs teachings?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never said anything you just accused me of; actually I said that they are not directly investing in the abortion pill itself, but a major company that makes the pill. The company also makes many other drugs. This is why I gave the example of giving a gun to someone for the purpose of killing someone is different than investing a company.
Now we can have a conversation about how many parts of His teachings we ignore on a daily basis by being a citizen of the United States, or just fitting into our perceived Christian culture.
Also, I believe Matthew said something about using His name to slander another is a sin. I think there may also be something about being a hypocrite in the mix, too.
Now, I am also a sinner for accusing you of being a sinner.
If you believe that having a diversified portfolio, which has holdings in a wide range of companies, than anyone who invests is going to have an issue.
I do agree, investing in an abortion clinic would be a sin.

The health insurance company that HL contracted with?
They provide many other prescriptions and medical services besides BC? No?

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand the Jewish situation at the time of Jesus, and its relationship with Rome. The flipping of the table was a symbolic gesture of how the Jewish high leaders needed to be ran out of temple for corrupting the Passover calibration. Jesus was not opposed to money, just how Passover was being used to make money and collect taxes inside the temple. I also understand how the high priests were living in luxury, while being an agent (tax collectors) of Rome. Long story short, the money was not the problem, the priest were. He was also opposed to anything the Pharisees had anything to do with or say.
I can see your point, but I do not believe He would have been opposed to working and making money.

I know what is taught, in fact if you knew and understood the Jewish situation as it relates to flipping tables, you could understand that HL aint following Jesus or his message.....more like Olsteens cult of Prosperity Gospel.

HL is hiding behind freedom of Religion to gain a economic edge and continue the fight of Roe v Wade.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
HL is not opposed to all of the BC the health insurance company offers, just the ones that can cause an abortion. HL is will to pay for contraceptives.

The health insurance company that HL contracted with?
They provide many other prescriptions and medical services besides BC? No?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask and what you believe. In this case hobby lobby believes that human life begins at conception which happens the moment an egg is fertilized. So by that viewpoint yes it is an abortion even if that is not the intent of the pill.
That's why fast car rides on bumpy gravel roads in eastern OK must necessarily be outlawed.

Poor mans abortion!

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
For everyone past this point, I do not wish to argue the politics of Jesus. If you are a Christian I respect your opinion. If you are not a Christian, but understand the word, I also respect your opinion. If you worship rocks and want to toss them at me, I respect that too, stupid hurts. I am by far not the right person to be defending Christianity. I know where I am going, and after Iraq I do not think it is up.

Also, I am not defending Hobby Lobby, I was saying do not see their retirement plans as hypocrisy.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can see your point, but I do not believe He would have been opposed to working and making money.

I believe the same. I also believe he would concern himself with spreading love and teaching rather than using his labor for taking petty stuff to the Govt in order to further an agenda. And this is where I cannot agree with HL. This legal fight isn't about religious principles or a pill. It's about a fighting a Law that will cost HL money.

If HL was in the religion business, such as some of the exempt business, I would agree. But HL is just a craft store, a bigger branch of wal- marts craft department. Just a company that if it went away it wouldn't be missed. The owner or owners just happen to claim to be Christians.

Latest posts

Top Bottom