Can a convicted felon...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. Blackpowder guns are firearms the way OK law defines them. You may be able to buy them without doing a 4473 based on federal law but a convicted felon cannot own them based on OK law.

That said: IANAL so maybe JB or Henschman could step in and answer the question.

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to remember hearing that they are not considered firearms . . . until they are loaded. Since the rules come from our government did you really expect them to make sense?

Phildo64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been trying to have my uncle petition the governor for his rights as that seems like the least expensive way and he'd have a TON of positive character references. Other than that he told me having a lawyer do it would be about 10Kish. If the felon is non violent then he stands a chance, but he'd need to do some leg work. I personally think if you've done your 7 years without a incidence and are a positive member of society then I think he should go for it. Id vouch for my unk any day of the week that man has made a huge turnaround.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it is one of my son-in-laws who has the problem. He's a pretty decent fellow now, but he made a few stupid mistakes when he was younger and dumber ending up with a felony drug possession. I think he sometimes kind of feels like a 'third wheel' around my son, and other son-in-law, because all of us are into shooting sports, conceal carry, and such. So, I have been trying to figure out a way to help him out so he'll feel more included, and I was hoping a muzzle stuffer could be the way, but I guess not. That is why the new question about having his rights restored. Maybe, if I can find out about how the process is done we can get the ball rolling in that direction - if possible. But frankly, he nor I has 10K to be able to spend on a possible goose chase. Anyways, thanks for all the replies and if anyone wants to add please do so.

Thanks,
Mike

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is it oklahoma felony or federal? If it's federal then good luck! I think the only way you can get your firearm privileges restored at the federal level is to get pardoned by the president.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We found out that it's a process that starts with a 12 page application from the Pardon and Parole Board. It takes awhile, but it is doable, as long as the felon is trying to make something of themselves and has stayed out of trouble. So, that's the route he is going to take.

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom