Can a LEO ask to see your carry license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Throwing my nickel in here from my point of view.

If I am open carrying and an officer asks if I have a permit I would prefer to assume that someone has contacted the officer with a concern that someone is carrying a firearm therefore making it within the scope of their job to ask. There is no way for me to know whether or not this is true so to produce a license when asked ensures that I comply with the law. It would be great if the officer were to come up and say something to the effect of "Jane Doe called me over to her vehicle concerned about your firearm, may I see your license?" But I doubt it's going to happen that way.

It's a catch 22 and I would rather be friendly and produce my license since the law isn't clear about asking part.

This tells me that as long as I produce the license when it is demanded I can not be restrained or disarmed and this part:

Basically tells me that if I am asked to produce my license if I am contacted during the course of official business I have to do so and I have to inform an officer who may be unaware of my carrying as soon as I am able to during official business involving me.
I guess I've totally missed your point....

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the big deal if your legal and a LEO ask to see your liscense give me a good reason not to comply? Most of the LEO I know applaud that we take the responsibility to carry, no reason to cause ripples and most will say thank you and your on your way. Seems like people today are always looking some way to buck the system. If you don't like then become part of the solution and change it.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the law myself but I'm not gonna be all butt hurt about it. Considering the money it cost me and the hoops I jumped through, I might as well show it to someone.

Tyger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the big deal if your legal and a LEO ask to see your liscense give me a good reason not to comply? Most of the LEO I know applaud that we take the responsibility to carry, no reason to cause ripples and most will say thank you and your on your way. Seems like people today are always looking some way to buck the system. If you don't like then become part of the solution and change it.

I believe it goes back rights and the constitution. Is it right for a LEO to be able to stop a citizen just because they have a gun and are practicing their right? Now, saying that if I am stopped, I will show ID and not cause "ripples." Hopefully, the law will be changed with the push for constitutional carry.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe it goes back rights and the constitution. Is it right for a LEO to be able to stop a citizen just because they have a gun and are practicing their right? Now, saying that if I am stopped, I will show ID and not cause "ripples." Hopefully, the law will be changed with the push for constitutional carry.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it is "right". In Oklahoma it is the law. For many years concealed carry was illegal. Right or not, it was the law. Then CC was legal, but OC wasn't... you can push the issue all you want and try to take it to the Supreme Court if you wish. But the law in this state is the law. Fight to get it changed if you think it is unconstitutional, but don't break it unless you're willing to risk the consequences passed down from the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom