Can I take a hacksaw to it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimjlm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if its not that nice any respectable smith will install screw in chokes, and probably true up the end too. Saw a guy in SGN offering installation with three chokes for $95. When you cut the rib, shorten it flush to one of the pillars, but leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch of barrel beyond that. It will look more professional that way. Protect the barrel with tape anyplace you will be cutting to avoid scratches. A disc or belt sander will true up the barrel well, remove a little, look at it an adjust sanding angle. Finish with sandpaper in your palm. Cold blue will be your friend. Just DON'T make it too short.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find a 18.5 barrel with a 3.5" chamber... I've found 22" turkey barrels and they're all camo.

I like the idea to cut if first longer than I plan on stopping. I might pay to have it done, but I have to talk to the gunsmith monday. I'm just being cheap.

Also you may consider the magazine tube if you ever decide to put a bigger tube you don't wanna cut it too short

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here's a couple of pics of my 1100 with a 18.5" ventrib barrel
(left 2 pics)
i bought this barrel from a vendor on gunlist, it was originally a 32" full choke
i was able to cut and true the end and reinstalled the bead for a "factory look"

my regular barrel(right pic) is a 21.5" with clearview chokes

hope this give you some idea what the 18.5" vent rib looks like

and yes it's a left hand 1100

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I saw a guy use a tubing/pipe cutter to shorten a thin-wall shotgun barrel. He went slow & easy so not to roll the muzzle down with pressure from the rollers. Looked pretty good after a little de-bur. Clean the barrel and cutter wheels before starting and shouldn't mar the finish enough that a little cold blue can't fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom