Cutting shotgun barrel and rethread for choke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a company or individual to shorten a remington 870 express barrel down to 18.5” and also rethread it for a choke? I like to help fellow Oklahomans but out of staters are fine too.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I’d look for a used factory made 18” barrel that accepts choke tubes. 870 barrels can generally be had relatively cheap.
Thats still an option and I have read some forums with similar advice, but if the this barrel is the same thickness from after the chamber to the muzzle, and the cost is less than every 200+ dollar option Ive found, is there a fallacy Im missing or a risk of some sort?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of Remington barrels bored off center. My Dad used to cut and rethread for choke tubes. Sometimes the barrel would be too thin for standard tubes and would need thin wall choke tubes. I don't remember the place he ordered from.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of Remington barrels bored off center. My Dad used to cut and rethread for choke tubes. Sometimes the barrel would be too thin for standard tubes and would need thin wall choke tubes. I don't remember the place he ordered from.
So is that a factory problem or whoever cut the barrel down that results in being bored off center?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is that a factory problem or whoever cut the barrel down that results in being bored off center?
Factory. It just takes a couple thousandths on one side u can usually mic your barrel thickness at the muzzle and will usually tell you.
If it had screw in chokes already , it's usually fine.

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay Im with you now! Thank you for explaining that.
It's not a complicated process to rethread . Just the tools. Reamer, bushings, die. My dad used his drill press to put pressure on the tools and turned with a adjustable wrench. I think he clamped the barrel in wood block . Using the drill press kept it squared up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom