Cutting shotgun barrel and rethread for choke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of Remington barrels bored off center. My Dad used to cut and rethread for choke tubes. Sometimes the barrel would be too thin for standard tubes and would need thin wall choke tubes. I don't remember the place he ordered from.
I remember back in the 80’s or early 90’s, there was some class action lawsuits about 870 barrels rupturing for no apparent reason. Buddy had two wing masters that fell into that window so he filed with the class action.
A year later he got a check from the lawsuit of $5 or $6 for each barrel. Certainly not enough to replace them.
So, if I were the OP and wanted to replace the barrels, it might be a good time to look up that law suit and make sure the replacements are outside of those serial numbers in question.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember back in the 80’s or early 90’s, there was some class action lawsuits about 870 barrels rupturing for no apparent reason. Buddy had two wing masters that fell into that window so he filed with the class action.
A year later he got a check from the lawsuit of $5 or $6 for each barrel. Certainly not enough to replace them.
So, if I were the OP and wanted to replace the barrels, it might be a good time to look up that law suit and make sure the replacements are outside of those serial numbers in question.
This is a newer 870. Unless they were making grey laminate models in the 80’s and 90’s. It was bought brand new from Academy around…. 2011

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a company or individual to shorten a remington 870 express barrel down to 18.5” and also rethread it for a choke? I like to help fellow Oklahomans but out of staters are fine too.
I have the tooling and do this, but I'm in Stillwater. PM if interested

Latest posts

Top Bottom