Can we talk about Mandelas life and history?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this perspective.

Bayou Renaissance Man spent many years in South Africa, and if I recall correctly, was a member of one of the various military forces serving there. Peter has face the elephant, more than once, and very closely. In the linked blog posts, he shares a very interesting perspective on Mandela.

Read this post first: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2013/12/in-memoriam-nelson-rohihlahla-mandela.html

This post is in response to a comment in the first post: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2013/12/mandela-terrorism-and-reality.html

In the end, he was human, doing what he thought was best at the time to free his people. I like Peter's closing.
I think the word 'terrorist' has been so misused and abused over the years that it's almost meaningless today. I prefer the word 'criminal'. If one commits an act that is morally evil - murder, rape, whatever - there can never be any justification for it, legal, political, social, economic or otherwise. To call it 'terrorism' merely obscures its intrinsically evil nature.

Mr. Mandela was indisputably guilty of such actions at one time in his past. He moved on beyond that stage of his career, and strongly opposed terrorism by his followers and by other factions in the run-up to South Africa's first democratic elections in 1994. To label him as a 'terrorist' forever is a travesty of justice and a deliberate denial of the truth. You might as well call me a 'soldier' today because once I wore a uniform and carried a gun (or, for that matter, because I shot terrorists). I haven't been a soldier for decades . . . but if you want to pin that label on me, because of what I once was, go ahead - knock yourself out. It's no skin off my nose. I don't think it'll affect Mr. Mandela's legacy if the short-sighted and misguided among us do the same to him as a former terrorist, even though - like most of us - he 'grew up' and became far more than he once was, and a far better person.

He is now in the court of a far higher Judge than our opinions. May his sins be forgiven him, and may he rest in peace . . . and may the same mercy be extended to us. I know that I, for one, will most assuredly need it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mandella also passed legislation restricting discrimination against the minority whites.

Not trying to dismiss his other "problems", just passing along some info.

But did little about the attacks, murders, rapes, etc against whites during his term in office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom