Can't wait for trapping season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use the live-box traps. I use cat food as a bait. I've found that if one leaves the cat food can loose in the trap, the coons will dig under the trap until they can move it to the side and eat it without tripping the trap.
So, put the cat food can behind the pan, and use a steel rod like an electric fence post to go from the top of the trap, through the cat food can, into the ground. They can't move it and will come through the front and get trapped.
.22 finishes the deal.

Will the live traps you get from Atwood's work?

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis is right, the prices for fur has been down for the last 3yrs, but the market seems to be rebounding some. All of the furs last season were all bought up and it appears demand has climb significantly. If you do keep the fur, case skin them. You can sell them green or stretched. If green you can sell to country buyers or at our state trapping assoc. The OK Fur Bearers Alliance will have fur sells on Feb. 5th in Chandler and on Mar. 5th in Okmulgee.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis is right, the prices for fur has been down for the last 3yrs, but the market seems to be rebounding some. All of the furs last season were all bought up and it appears demand has climb significantly. If you do keep the fur, case skin them. You can sell them green or stretched. If green you can sell to country buyers or at our state trapping assoc. The OK Fur Bearers Alliance will have fur sells on Feb. 5th in Chandler and on Mar. 5th in Okmulgee.

If I remember right, there is a link on the ODW web site that give the names of fur buyers.
For those that don't know, a green hide is where animal that has been trapped
but, not skinnned or stretched, and dried.
Real trappers that do it for money, skin the animals, scrape the hides, and put them on stretchers for sale.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt I ever do it but what is a typical price for a coon fur?
Green and stretched
Can't do a green and stretched.
Green is the animal just as you found it. Not skinned, or anything.
Some fur buyers prefer the trapper to not mess with it unless they are into it for money.
I don't know the current prices at the hides are not prime at this time but Jar head may have more info on this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom