Can't wait for trapping season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't do a green and stretched.
Green is the animal just as you found it. Not skinned, or anything.
Some fur buyers prefer the trapper to not mess with it unless they are into it for money.
I don't know the current prices at the hides are not prime at this time but Jar head may have more info on this.

I just meant prices for each. More out of curosity than anything.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bobcat around here usually bring the most money. The hides are a little thicker on a cat taken in February than December. Unless you are good at skinning, just freeze the animal whole, and when you get a sufficient quantity or Mom finds out there in the freezer, take em to a fur buyer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bobcat around here usually bring the most money. The hides are a little thicker on a cat taken in February than December. Unless you are good at skinning, just freeze the animal whole, and when you get a sufficient quantity or Mom finds out there in the freezer, take em to a fur buyer.

HAHAHA!
My wife freaked out when getting into the black bag in the freezer.:D

The fur buyer that I deal with said to do nothing but put the cat in the freezer, stretched out/whole.
When frozen, do nothing else.
Take it to the fur buyer, and thats it.

Bobcats are different than other animals that are trapped.
The buyers use almost every part of the animal.
they will recover the urine bag for resale, etc.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you guys tried calling coons? It is awesome. Set a mojo critter decoy under some good large trees and set the foxpro to raccoon fight. Let the fun begin... It's like shooting skeet on the ground.

Other than raccoon, I have been seeing quite a few bobcats this year as well.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you guys tried calling coons? It is awesome. Set a mojo critter decoy under some good large trees and set the foxpro to raccoon fight. Let the fun begin... It's like shooting skeet on the ground.

Tell me more.
What is a mojo critter decoy?
I knew I needed something for Christmas. A foxpro!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have called in 4 using a rabbit in distress, but that was not intended target. Do you do this at night? I have a critter and a fox pro. Tell me more.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis isn't technically wrong, but the term green has been used in the trapping industry as a skinned, unscrapped fur. The animal as is without skinning is considered 'whole'. I organize the state fur auctions so I have some knowledge, but I'm not a buyer, but as a guess, I would think that coons will go for around $7 green, and maybe around $11 stretched. Seldom is coons sold whole, but occasionally you will see a couple. The price isn't great, but sometimes the buyers will buy them for the cold factor to help keep the rest of the fur from getting too hot.

There is a market for coon carcass', but it is tough to get set up since we are allowed so few coons here in OK.

If you do not know what you are doing or are not comfortable skinning, you should definitely sell your cats whole. They are not labor intensive and the buyer doesn't mark off a lot because of it. They would rather ensure its done right then take a chance on poorly skinned cats. We probably won't see $300 cats this year, but should see $200+ for select grade cats. Particulaly from NW OK.

You can get a lot of info at oktrappers.com if you want more info, or pm me.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A mojo critter is a battery operated decoy that stakes into the ground and spins intermittently.

awww.dekesrus.com_MyPictures8_mojo_critter_1.jpg

It spins and bounces around and grabs their attention. I use it for any predators, coons, and will probably try it with my crow decoys next time we go out.

Since you want the coons to be asleep in their trees, you get to do this during the day. I set the mojo critter at the base of a big group of trees and put Foxpro close to it, but I set it behind something so I don't shoot it while shooting the raccoons. lol

You turn on a raccoon fight sound and they will come running down the tree and try to attack the mojo critter. Its crazy. We set back about 20-40 yards from the Foxpro with shotguns with turkey loads. I have used BB shot before but luckily, I guess, didn't get any responses from the raccoons. I was out coyote hunting and got bored so I figured I'd try the coons. I don't think there would be much left with BB and a turkey choke meeting a raccoon!

Its not like coyote hunting and once you've called an area, your done. Just walk down a hundred yards or so and do it again.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A mojo critter is a battery operated decoy that stakes into the ground and spins intermittently.

awww.dekesrus.com_MyPictures8_mojo_critter_1.jpg

It spins and bounces around and grabs their attention. I use it for any predators, coons, and will probably try it with my crow decoys next time we go out.

Since you want the coons to be asleep in their trees, you get to do this during the day. I set the mojo critter at the base of a big group of trees and put Foxpro close to it, but I set it behind something so I don't shoot it while shooting the raccoons. lol

You turn on a raccoon fight sound and they will come running down the tree and try to attack the mojo critter. Its crazy. We set back about 20-40 yards from the Foxpro with shotguns with turkey loads. I have used BB shot before but luckily, I guess, didn't get any responses from the raccoons. I was out coyote hunting and got bored so I figured I'd try the coons. I don't think there would be much left with BB and a turkey choke meeting a raccoon!

Its not like coyote hunting and once you've called an area, your done. Just walk down a hundred yards or so and do it again.

That sounds like fun. I need to try it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom