car audio questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're just needing a head unit (in-dash radio) I'd hit walmart.com and ship to store. They drop ship just about everything. If you're adding in subs/satelites, you might hit up a local installer/retailer.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the last headunit I bought came from the Circuity City at Shields and I240, which should tell you something, but I'd start by looking at Crutchfield to find the parts you'll need (particularly if you need a replacement/adapter bezel), then cross-shop at Best Buy and Amazon. Most headunits have adapter harnesses that make them plug and play; half the battle is figuring out how to remove the factory unit.

The only time I let a 12V shop work on my stereo, it was when the dealer farmed out the installation of an OEM Sirius unit without my knowledge. I could've done a better job--and, in fact, I did on my next car. For crying out loud, it was a plug and play installation, and it was more work to do it the way they did than to do it the way it was supposed to have been done...

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like previously mentioned, with an install kit it can be pretty simple to DIY. Crutchfield is a good resource. There is also a huge amount of information here www.the12volt.com

I've never had any work done in OKC/Edmond but there is a great shop in Stillwater. Custom Car Stereo does great work. They also sell tactical flashlights, win-win.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crutchfield is a great place to look around and get started. Can go from mild to almost wild with them easily. To me wild is custom everything and you could probably do that with them as well but it won't be easy to do.

Really depends on if you want to have you and/or your son do the work or you want someone else. I do all my own and if you can follow some directions and turn a screwdriver it's extremely simple to do a mild change out. Swap the head unit, swap the speakers and run power, remote and signal for an amp will take an afternoon. Amp installation is basically plug in some RCA connectors hook power, ground and remote then run to a speaker. My suggestion is make sure you have preamp outputs and auxiliary input for sure on the head unit. This makes it almost future proof as anything that can have a set of headphones plugged in can function with the unit and if your son wants to bump things up a little with a sub it's available even if you don't do it now he likely will want to later on especially if the speakers are smaller than 6x9's. My pickup has 5.25" speakers in the door and they do fine for highs and mids but did not do much for lows and would distort. Throw in a 8" sub and set the head unit to cut anything below 125hz out from the door speakers and send it to the preamps and the distortion is gone and it sounds a ton better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom