Carrying a revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dumb question about keeping an automatic pistol loaded. Will the springs in a clip weaken over time when kept loaded all the time? I carry a revolver because of this question, but the vast majority of police carry automatic weapons? Do they have to change out clips on a regular bases, or is this not even a problem? Thanks.
Absolutely zero problem with leaving a magazine loaded. Springs do not wear out from being compressed.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a dumb question about keeping an automatic pistol loaded. Will the springs in a clip weaken over time when kept loaded all the time? I carry a revolver because of this question, but the vast majority of police carry automatic weapons? Do they have to change out clips on a regular bases, or is this not even a problem? Thanks.

istockphoto-488049995-612x612.jpg

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
StitchJones is right.

What weakens the springs is repeated compression and decompression. Leaving them fully loaded will not degrade their functionality, but constant use will.

I have a box of specially marked range mags, and my duty/carry mags are distinctly identified as well. Just clean and oil 'em every year or so, and you're good to go.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
StitchJones is right.

What weakens the springs is repeated compression and decompression. Leaving them fully loaded will not degrade their functionality, but constant use will.

I have a box of specially marked range mags, and my duty/carry mags are distinctly identified as well. Just clean and oil 'em every year or so, and you're good to go.
THANKS!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
To keep from starting a new thread, I’m going to ask here. I’m really on a revolver kick, am shooting them a lot, and carrying one exclusively. I’ve been reading about wadcutters for personal defense, and the proponents make a good argument.
Does anyone here WHO CARRIES A REVOLVER do so with wadcutters?
View attachment 247850
https://revolverguy.com/wadcutters-for-self-defense/
Here the article I read that helped me make up my mind about wadcutters.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you consider carrying a 38 special revolver instead of a semiauto? I have one I would like to carry but the full size M&P just keeps jumping on my hip every morning
Nope. I'm too active shooter pessimistic. Got 15 in my 19 handle and a 17 rounder in my back pocket. Imagine being that guy sitting center row 10 at the movie theater watching the new Batman movie. Suddenly, some wacko walks in the side exit with an AK and begins to spray the audience. You know you're gonna draw his fire when you send your first round at him. I'ma need a little more than 5 rounds to get me through the "Oh sheit adrenaline moment". And not to mention he's probably wearing body armor, so its probably going take me at least 5 rounds to one good one in his head. Damn, I guess I'm better off handing the gun to my wife and just charging that someb@tch. She's a better shooter anyway.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. I'm too active shooter pessimistic. Got 15 in my 19 handle and a 17 rounder in my back pocket. Imagine being that guy sitting center row 10 at the movie theater watching the new Batman movie. Suddenly, some wacko walks in the side exit with an AK and begins to spray the audience. You know you're gonna draw his fire when you send your first round at him. I'ma need a little more than 5 rounds to get me through the "Oh sheit adrenaline moment". And not to mention he's probably wearing body armor, so its probably going take me at least 5 rounds to one good one in his head. Damn, I guess I'm better off handing the gun to my wife and just charging that someb@tch. She's a better shooter anyway.

It is estimated that 1 in 10 people carry in Oklahoma..... you are not going to be the only person in a theatre shooting at said wacko... There are as many ways to look at this scenario as there are folks in said theatre. On top of all that , until you have actually been in a shooting situation you have no clue how you will act.. There is a possibility you go into a super focused frame of mind and pop said wacko in the CNS with the first shot..... or you curl up in the fetal position and your wife has to drag your buttocks out the building after she takes your pistol and drops the wacko :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom