Carrying at the new job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've changed jobs recently. My old job was with a public school so carrying at work was definitely out of the question. However, my new job is not. I have not seen anything so far that says that I cannot carry. I don't work in an office, or even in a building, so there is no door to hang a No Weapons sign on. I read through the HR orientation manual and there is nothing at all about weapons. However a violence training program talked about people carrying guns at work as a negative. So, how can I know if it is ok to carry at work without telling anyone that I'm carrying at work?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't tell anyone at work. Simple as that. Even inquiring about it will put you under a microscope.

If there are no signs and nothing in the HR employee handbook barring employees from carrying, then you should be ok to carry. They may not specifically give you permission to carry, but they are also not specifically forbidding you from carrying. Notifying them or asking about it may cause them to "correct" an overlooked "issue" that was missed when company policy was written and can cause them to add verbiage banning employee carry of firearms. I would not tell anyone that you are concealed carrying. Not even the ones you become friends with, because they may inadvertently mention it in a different discussion with other people or employees. Doing so will inevitably cause someone to freak out about it and raise a grievance against you and the company and HR will be forced to close a "loophole" and specifically add verbiage to ban concealed carry for employees.

It's all fine and dandy until someone complains.

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Aestus. My company has a policy that states no firearms without authorization. I understand authorization to be a state issued licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't tell anyone at work. Simple as that. Even inquiring about it will put you under a microscope.

If there are no signs and nothing in the HR employee handbook barring employees from carrying, then you should be ok to carry. They may not specifically give you permission to carry, but they are also not specifically forbidding you from carrying. Notifying them or asking about it may cause them to "correct" an overlooked "issue" that was missed when company policy was written and can cause them to add verbiage banning employee carry of firearms. I would not tell anyone that you are concealed carrying. Not even the ones you become friends with, because they may inadvertently mention it in a different discussion with other people or employees. Doing so will inevitably cause someone to freak out about it and raise a grievance against you and the company and HR will be forced to close a "loophole" and specifically add verbiage to ban concealed carry for employees.

It's all fine and dandy until someone complains.

QFT and emphasized. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Do not, under any circumstances, lose whatever handouts they've given you. That'll be your basis if there's ever an issue.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest waiting until there happens to be some current news stories about the new open carry law.. there will probably be a lot of them as we get closer to Nov. 1st... then try to start a conversation about it with your boss / supervisor.. asking what they think about Open Carry. Work in conceal carry and you can ask what the company policy is about that. That way you are simply discussing the news... not drawing attention to you personally. You don't even have to mention that you have a permit.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it is in the handbook or not. We are an employment at will state. If they want to fire you they can. If the job is not worth getting fired over I would inquire. I work for an accounting firm and we don't have a policy one way or the other. At one time we have 6 employees out of 18 who had CCL licenses including one of the partners. It is okay here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom