Casa Bonita started in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The creators of animated TV show South Park have announced plans to buy the last remaining Casa Bonita restaurant, located in Colorado (it closed last year due to Covid).
I did not know that the first Casa Bonita back in the 60s was in Oklahoma City.

'South Park' creators say they're buying Casa Bonita. The original restaurant was in OKC.
South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker say they are buying Casa Bonita, the real-life Mexican restaurant the animated show featured.
The restaurant was at one point a small chain, but eventually became just a single venue in the Denver suburb of Lakewood...
The Colorado location originally opened in 1973, five years after the first location opened in Oklahoma City. In the late 1960s, Mexican food was a novelty in Oklahoma City, and the concept drove customers who had never tried it before...
When it opened in 1968, the restaurant special cost $1.47 and wait staff were paid $1.25/hour. No margaritas or Mexican beer was on the menu at Casa Bonita as owner Bill Waugh was adamant about not serving alcohol.
Slumping sales forced the location to close in 1993, four years before South Park debuted. It was previously located at 3601 NW 39 and bulldozed in 2015.
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...onita-denver-oklahoma-city-denver/8125683002/

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent many Saturday evenings dining on the all you could eat Mexican food.
Always hit the one in Tulsa after a long day at the gunshow.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being one of six kids eating there was a real special occasion. Dad was a commercial electrician and had to do a service call in the kitchen there one afternoon. We were never allowed to eat there again.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked at Casa Bonita in 1975 during my junior year in high school. The highlight was the young ladies that worked there. Hotter then the tamales! It was a fun place to work even when you were elbow deep in enchilada sauce.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the mid eighties we pulled in the parking lot of the Casa Bonita in Tulsa. As we making a U turn out of the parking lot I spotted something very shiny on the pavement. Stopped the truck, went to pick up the shiny object and it was a gold wedding band. Sold that band to the gold dealer down the street for $425 bucks. Best tex-mex I never did eat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom