Cast Iron Plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought an older house that needed some work before we moved in. It has turned into a money pit. The latest problem is with the old cast iron plumbing deteriorating and stopping up the works. Not many options for solving the problem. The house is built on a concrete slab so the usual fix would be to bust up the floor and replace the cast iron with pvc. I have been trying to find info on repairing the line with a liner. Has anyone has anyone had experience with this? Any info would be appreciated.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom's house is the same. Her sewer has been replaced with PVC from the house to the city line, so that's good, but all the lines in her slab are cast iron. I looked into epoxy lining and did get one quote, but it's iffy on being doable because these are 2" pipes. If they were 4" they could do them no problem.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My house is iron plumbed and has given me a lot of problems. We got one line successfully sleeved, the others required replacement. I really don’t want to ever use them again cuz there was some really poor customer service after the fact, but hi-tech plumbing was the outfit that sleeved a line for me. They aren’t cheap, but they’re cheaper than replacing a floor and a lot more convenient. Pipe Down Slab Leak is who did most of the other replacements.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a Remodel Contractor but I will say I am NOT a plumber and always contract out most plumbing. There are two fixes which I am sure you are aware of. One is to cut the slab and replace drains. When I encounter this I always bring in a plumber and have them help me map out where the slab needs to be opened and we do the concrete cutting ourselves. This will save you a bundle if you are able to do this yourself. Then I have them come back and do the plumbing. (only because I am not a licensed plumber and we usually have to pull a permit. If not in city limits we do the plumbing. Shhhh don't tell anyone :-) The other option is to come out and have someone do the epoxy lining which I have done ONE time and I am having a difficult time remembering what the exact cost was. Seems like it was 5000.00? I have a text to the owner and he has not answered at the time of this post. I hope you are able to remedy your problem without breaking you bank.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because of potential future problems with plumbing and HVAC, I'd have to seriously consider doing a conventional floor on a forever home. Sorry about the hassle OP.
I was thinking about doing a slab but with a raised floor in areas where drains run. I also don't like plumbing that isn't easy to get to. Makes no sense to me.

Plumber guy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good practice if looking at buying homes to remodel is get a good plumber to do a camera inspection of all drains. I’ve been a plumber for 20 years and cast under slabs can by far be the most costly repairs. I don’t personally trust the liner process but can’t speak to how effective it could be. Sorry about your situation there, as one said earlier have it mapped out by a plumber and do the concrete yourself would save a ton of money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom