Thoughts on wood burning stoves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I considered a Lopi when we replaced a stove in Colorado. Wound up buying a top-loading Harmon. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same one over again. I can't stress enough how convenient the top-loading feature is. Also came with a cooking grate so you could actually grill things right on the stove. Of course, we used mostly pine and aspen so cooking with either of those wouldn't be ideal. But, it was an option.

Out of your two choices, I'd pick the Lopi. But I haven't researched them in several years.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks All! We went with the Lopi. Open floor plan house running east to west with big windows on the south to give a heat gain. We lost electric when the cold spell hit. House is 2500 sqft and we had four electric oil filled radiator heaters (propane jumped horribly so the radiators with electric were much cheaper). House went from 72 to 52 in five hours with no heat input and zero degrees outside. Two main rooms with bedrooms opening into them. A boring rectangle as was built for centuries. Installer is choosing a different location than we wanted but they know what they are doing. All walls are solid filled with insulation, outside is blown foam. Interior is fire retardant 3“ board. We have large dc motor ceiling fans to move the air, they felt a blower was wasted money.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, house is sealed tight
Remember that for each cubic foot of air that goes up the chimney, one cubic foot of air has to come in to replace it.

I feel that a fireplace / wood burner needs a cold air intake from the outside to feed its oxygen needs.

Typical installations draw cold air onto the house from somewhere reducing efficiency

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In
Typical installations draw cold air onto the house from somewhere reducing efficiency
Many people crack open the nearest window just a bit.
My house is old 1974 and not super tight and I feel the air is mostly pulled through the clothes dryer as it gets really cold in that tub when the wood is burning.
That is about 23 feet from the wood insert so all is good for me.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In

Many people crack open the nearest window just a bit.
My house is old 1974 and not super tight and I feel the air is mostly pulled through the clothes dryer as it gets really cold in that tub when the wood is burning.
That is about 23 feet from the wood insert so all is good for me.
I have saw the bathroom exhaust fan frost while having a fire in the fireplace! Lol

Makes part of the house cool!

I dont heat with wood, but like having a fire in the fireplace now and then.

Sure would be nice if the fireplace had a cold air intake!

1974 is not old! Lol

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure would be nice if the fireplace had a cold air intake!

My cast iron stove at home that I posted a pic of does not have a cold air intake but it has not been an issue for my 1800 sq Ft house HOWEVER in my 400 sq Ft off grid very tight cabin’s stove almost suffocated us one night by burning up all the oxygen. Woke up and could hardly breath until I opened the door. Did a retro outside air intake.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Something to consider, particularly with the newer high efficiency stoves. They need dry wood to run properly Dry as in >20% moisture content. Ash and Hackberry will dry down in a years time. It will take white oak and similar 1-2 years to reach that level. Wood needs to be split and stacked off the ground. Left in the round it will dry much slower.
You can get away with burning it less dry, (but not green) but you won't get the BTUs out of it and you run a higher risk of creosote build up in your chimney.
I've been using a wood stove as primary heat for 12 seasons now. I like to have 2+ years of wood on hand if possible. Buying or cutting, stock up on next years wood this year

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been heating my single level sandstone house in Ranch Acres, on and off for 15+ years.
an OSA member who I consider my friend helped me out by loading my 20ft trailer full of aged Osage Orange. many years later I'm still sparingly using that Osage Orange when I need a particularly hot fire to clean out my Buck 91 catalyst, when it starts to clog up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom