Casting Boolits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I got a lot done today. Spent the afternoon casting 158 gr SWC bullets for my .38s. Was completely out. I think I got about 500 done. I'll need to lube them, but I should be able to start loading them tomorrow night!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Seriously!

I'm not sure exactly what the alloy of these are, but they seem reasonably hard. And all I'll be using them for is super soft .38 loads, so I don't expect more than 750-800 fps out of a 4" barrel.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think mine clocked 640 fps out of a 2" barrel. I don't think they'd get that fast, but that's a top end.

ETA, was right on the money. Same load clocked 775fps out of a 4" barrel.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of mold do you use? Do you size and lube at the same time? I would love to learn how to cast my own. I do have a BPCR in 40-65 Win that I will have to do my own casting but the mold is custom made so no sizing is needed, laddle poured, and pan lubed--that is how the former owner did it so I figure I will try the same method. By the way, this is with 1:20 mix for black powder.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have several Lee molds from my father in law. The one I was using today was a Lee 6 cavity .357 158gr SWC mold. I use a little pot on my 2 burner coleman stove outside, have a lead ladle, and go at it.

There's a little bit of a knack to it, but that comes with trying it. I have no idea how many thousands of bullets have been cast with this mold, but they still come out pretty! You have to melt the lead, that takes a while, then heat the mold up. If the mold is too cool, when the lead hits it it will harden and not fill the cavity up completely. Then I just watch the bullets as they come out, and any that have imperfections (not filled completely, ripples in surface) I place back in the pot and recast them.

Go to Cast Boolits and you can read to your hearts' content. Also something best learned by watching it done. My father in law showed me the first time, and I've just played with it since. It's an art to itself. Much like reloading, you save money doing it, but it's enjoyable in its own way.

ETA:
I use the Lee sizing die, and then the Lee Liquid Allox (LLA) tumble lubing. Just run the bullets through the die, then put a couple hundred in a small tupperware type container, dribble on some of the LLA, close, and tumble until coated evenly. Spread on newspaper overnight to let the lube harden. I just finished sizing and lubing all ~500 of the bullets I cast today. Easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom