CCP and the wife...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of guys at work are planning on taking the class/getting licensed in a few months, and I had been wanting to get a permit for a while now, so I figured this would be a good time to do it. I talked to my wife about it, and she doesn't want me too. We discussed it for a while, and after I offered my opinions for most of her worries (getting your weapon taken away/someone seeing it/shooting an unarmed person by mistake/etc), it seems it comes down to more of a feeling uneasy about guns in general. I know there's only one remedy for this (MORE RANGE TIME! w00t!), which is something I'm going to have to work on with her, but anyone know of any resources I could use to help illustrate that the pros outweigh the cons? I've done a little research, but most of the data I find is in regards to policy as a deterrent for crime in general, rather than outcomes of incidents, etc.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really have any information for ya, but I am in the same boat. My wife is totally against me having my firearms in the house or getting a CC license. I'm taking the class regardless but that fight is another story. She seems to think I'll treat it as a reason to engage someone or that i'm not able to handle a firearm, even with my military background. I'm interested to see what feedback you get from this.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been raised around guns for as long as I can remember. I got my hunter's safety permit when I was oh, probably 10, and shortly thereafter got a ruger 10/22. I've been into archery since well before that. I studied TKD from the time I was 5 until Jr. year of high school, and as such I've always been accutely aware of the need for self-defense, and the responsibilities that come along with abilities, and am comfortable with all sorts of weapons. However, I can't very well carry around a katana or chucks, and with the questionable wording of the SDA, I'm not even sure of the legality of a collapsible baton, none of which would be of any use against a strapped thug anyway.

What it essentially comes down to is I'd rather have a weapon and not need it, than need it and not have it...

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, she wasnt even comfortable with my old NEF single shot in the house. Eventually as I brought more of my guns in, and bought more, she got more comfortable. Her dad wanted his ccw, and bought me a glock and we took the class together. (Her whole fmaily, grandma included use to shoot, but got away from it at some point.) She was ok with that. She eventually got to go to the family ranch with me, shot some, and eventually even asked me to get her a pistol. She now has a raspberry pink lcp, and just asked me for more range time. It just takes time, she'll come around. (I never thought mine would as her Grandpa was shot and killed by an ex brother in law or something)

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people think that as long as they live a good life they will be OK. But, once you realize that you can be attacked anytime, anyplace, for really strange reasons, then you can start planning to defend yourself.

the NRA American Rifleman magazine has a section where each month it tells of people that have been attacked, at home, in the yard, you just don't know where and when.

As a suggestion you could read these true stories to your wife and let her see that everyday people just like her get attacked.

I have a Firearms For Women class that goes over the basics of shooting handguns and we go over some data that women find pretty eye opening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom