CCW at work.. but stored in your car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done a bit of looking around and found two different sides to this question... You have a CCW license but your place of work does not allow guns.. can you keep your weapon in your car in the company parking lot?.. and yes the vehicle would be locked. and no I would not submit to any type of search without cause but only from an on duty LEO.
If you did not consent to the search could you then be fired?... would you have a case?

I know that there is a law that was passed a while back that said something about being able to keep your firearm in your vehicle even at work but I can't seem to find it.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OS Title 21 § 1290.22 (B) said:
No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

Here

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438588

Section 1290.22 - Business Owner's Rights
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

C. A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is open to the public, the property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property stating such prohibition.

D. The carrying of a concealed or unconcealed firearm by a person who has been issued a handgun license on property that has signs prohibiting the carrying of firearms shall not be deemed a criminal act but may subject the person to being denied entrance onto the property or removed from the property. If the person refuses to leave the property and a peace officer is summoned, the person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00).

E. A person, corporation, place of worship or any other business entity that does or does not prohibit any individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on property that the person, corporation, place of worship or other business entity owns, or has legal control of, is immune from any liability arising from that decision. Except for acts of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, an employer who does or does not prohibit their employees from carrying a concealed or unconcealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to claims pursuant to the Workers' Compensation Code.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless of course your place of work, and the parking lot, is on federal property. State law doesn't apply there.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, you CAN have it on you, not illegal, just against company policy. "IF" they ever found out you could (and probably would) be fired but no law violation. I guess it depends on your work attire if this is possible without detection.

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That type of situation is where a pocket holster really shines. Think about it -- no one will ever know about it unless your life is in danger and it has to come out. If that occurs, which holds a higher priority -- your life, or your job?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That type of situation is where a pocket holster really shines. Think about it -- no one will ever know about it unless your life is in danger and it has to come out. If that occurs, which holds a higher priority -- your life, or your job?

That is true. When I carried a keltec there was a couple times I forgot I had it on me. Oops!

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had this issue come up at work last year. I knew our lawyer was working on a company handbook and I proactively got involved specifically on the CCW aspect. There was no way he was going to let people carry in the office, I guess that opens up a lot of liability for my company. I saw that as a losing battle so I just made sure he knew I left it in my truck every day. No big deal really. I have forgotten a few times and carried to my office but nobody knew or was even paying attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom