CCW License with NO shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure being "experienced" with guns is a CCW permit requirement.
There were people in my CCW class years ago that were just about thrown out of the range portion of the class.
The class is to get your license, It is up to the individual to seek out more instruction.:twocents:

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe you have to have any prior knowledge of guns or gun handling. You can go in off the street and take the class and get your license.

I think that at least an hour or 2 of safety training should be part of the course. "Training" (with instruction and practice), not just "instruction". Failure to pass the safety part is sufficient to deny the certificate. When I took the course, there was about 5 minutes of instruction then off to the range.

SDAinstructor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Guys ! I am new to the board and thought maybe I could help with giving some facts. I am a SDA Instructor for the state of Oklahoma. First thing, all SDA instructors are CLEET and OSBI certified. You have to go through both organizations in order to teach the class. Second, the most a student can be charged is $60 for the complete class. You can only be exempt from the shooting portion for the following 7 reasons.

1) a firearms instructor registered with the OSBI for the purpose of SDA.

2) An active duty law enforcement officer of this stateor any of its political subdivisionsor of the federal gov't.

3) A retired law enforcement officer authorized by this state pursuant to Section 1289.8 of this title to carry a firearm.

4) A CLEET certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment.

5) A person on active military duty, National Guardduty or regular military reserve duty who is a legal resident of this state and who is trained and qualified in the use of handguns.

6) A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within 20 years preceding the date of the application for a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma SDA, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the use of handguns.

7) Any person who is otherwise deemed qualified for a training exemption by CLEET.

If you are exempt the most I can charge for the class is $30.

I hope this helps with anyones questions.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Yeah, I know you can't read it, but this ad, which appeared in the Daily Ardmoreite on 1/9/11 (and serveral time previously), says this in the details:

"5 ½ hr class
No written test
No range qualification
Never a renewal class
Good in 30 states incl Oklahoma
$10 renewal, 5 year license
Fingerprints and photos incl"

This is the website associated with the ad. www.hasslefreechl.com

This "appears" to be a class for a Utah license which is then accepted in 29 other states. I would personally be very leary about having this as my CCW authority and being stopped by OHP and asked to explain why I have an Okla Drivers License and a Utah CCW

walkeraw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I see no advantage and possible problems. Where's the logic??

Two advantages - (1) if you move out of Oklahoma, the UT non-resident permit is still valid....whereas the Oklahoma permit becomes null and void, (2) The initial and recurring costs are much cheaper.

Can't imagine what possible problems you may have in mind.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I see no advantage and possible problems. Where's the logic?And, who doesn't want to shoot?[/QUOTE]

I don't care what kind of license you get, but having had a UT license since back when OK was only recognized by 4 states, and done the UT instructor bit for 3 years, I can answer your questions.

Advantages:
1. Backup license if primary lost or stolen.
2. Covers you is OK not renewed on time.
3. Cheap and easy to renew ($10 and a picture ea 5 years)
4. Remains valid regardless of where you live.
5. In the constantly changing list of state recognition, may/may not provide additional recognition.
6 The same is true of FL except FL is NOT cheap.

Possible Problems:
Mostly in your head. Much like the anti arguments against concealed carry: "well, what if....?"
If you run into that one exception of an OK LEO that does not know the SDA, you probably have more problems than the UT permit.

Who doesn't want to shoot?:
Lot of folks, especially many wives who don't want to have to go to the range with a bunch of us hairy-legged smart-offs.
A savvy gun owner wants his wife to have a CHL even if she never carries, if for no other reason so she is legal if he leaves a gun in the truck/car and she borrows it.

The logic is don't judge everyone by your circumstances.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for certain that there is one instructor in this area who does NOT require students to take the shooting portion. His classes are about 2-3 hours long and he leaves it up to the individual whether or not they want to shoot.

Right or wrong, I know this is done. I know 3 people who took his class.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I am an advocate for training, I can't see why a proficiency test is required to get a permit, let alone a class. Does one need a formal education in order to practice their right to free speech? Some people make me will this to be the case, but it just isn't. Why must one attend a class to practice the right to carry a firearm?

Latest posts

Top Bottom