CCW License with NO shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been invited to a CCW class with a supposedly CLEET/OSBI certified instructor. It is being held at my work location so it is convenient, but there is no shooting. I'm told that I don't have to do the shooting portion to receive my certificate. Is that right? Can I get my CCW license with no shooting, or is this guy cheating? If he's cheating, I will stay far away, but if it's legitimate, it's convenient and fairly cheap, and I'll be in the class with friends. What do you think?

BTW, I'm certainly not seeking to -avoid- the shooting portion. I'm only attracted to this class because It's convenient, cheap and with my friends.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless one has miliary or law enforcement credentials/experience, I know of no provision that lets one skip the (somewhat silly) shooting requirement.

If this has changed, I'd like to know about it. CB

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's cheating on the shooting part. Maybe he's skipping other parts also.
They didn't say it was for a utah permit did they? I don't think you have to shoot for that one.
How much are they charging? $60 is the state mandated charge.
A lot of places have lowered the price to $40

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's charging $40 and I don't think it's for Utah. I assume it's for Oklahoma. I was thinking he might be skipping other parts also. it's only scheduled to be 2 1/2 hours long. I think I'll probably skip it and go to one of the other classes in town which I've seen good feedback on. I don't want to do the minimum to get by; I want to get all the training I can!

cpd23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK class is 8 hrs course with a 50 round shotting course. There a several instructors short cutting the classes and IMHO not doing anyone a favor by doing it.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK class is 8 hrs course with a 50 round shotting course. There a several instructors short cutting the classes and IMHO not doing anyone a favor by doing it.

Turn them in!
They have inspectors that are supposed to check out reports.
Doesn't help anybody by cheating and could get someone into serious trouble.
(student that is)

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think any instructor cheating on the class should be reported. Not everyone who takes these classes is experienced with guns, let alone handguns. I believe that in January there is a provision requiring a gun safety course certificate as well. I think that is a good step forward.

I just don't want people carrying without knowing that they have at least some basic gun safety instruction. Handling hand guns is dangerous enough without cheating way down on the safety part of carrying. All the accidental shootings that I have personal knowledge about were hand gun related.

Latest posts

Top Bottom