CCW License with NO shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of license you get, but having had a UT license since back when OK was only recognized by 4 states, and done the UT instructor bit for 3 years, I can answer your questions.

Advantages:
1. Backup license if primary lost or stolen.
2. Covers you is OK not renewed on time.
3. Cheap and easy to renew ($10 and a picture ea 5 years)
4. Remains valid regardless of where you live.
5. In the constantly changing list of state recognition, may/may not provide additional recognition.
6 The same is true of FL except FL is NOT cheap.

Possible Problems:
Mostly in your head. Much like the anti arguments against concealed carry: "well, what if....?"
If you run into that one exception of an OK LEO that does not know the SDA, you probably have more problems than the UT permit.

Who doesn't want to shoot?:
Lot of folks, especially many wives who don't want to have to go to the range with a bunch of us hairy-legged smart-offs.
A savvy gun owner wants his wife to have a CHL even if she never carries, if for no other reason so she is legal if he leaves a gun in the truck/car and she borrows it.

The logic is don't judge everyone by your circumstances.

Well, Rod, I guess you told me!

Most of your "advantages" wouldn't apply to the majority of us, albeit when they do apply, they would be helpful.

As far as problems being "in my head", aren't they all until they come to fruition? That one jakeleg LEO that you were talking about may just be the one looking for a reason to give you some real grief.

And, you've completely misunderstood my comment "Who doesn't want to shoot?". It was offered in the context of "Who doesn't like ice cream?" Or, why would anyone not want to shoot when taking a class?

I guess my real concern is that this is just another way to get around a law which has been beneficial for us, even though we wish the law was unnecessary.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my real concern is that this is just another way to get around a law which has been beneficial for us,

And that's exactly what prompted me to post:
The attitude that complying with the letter of the law is somehow "getting around a law."
Sounds like the anti campaign to "close the gunshow loophole." You seem to want to "close the UT license loophole?"

Like a "police chief" of a very small OK town who told me he didn't want anybody in "his" town getting any CHL, it is appropriate to point out that the legislature in OK is responsible for making the laws, and to question the motives for the criticism of people following the law.

Please understand I have been stationed in places like Maryland, where there is a CHL law on the books, but it is left up to the discretion of the state police whether anyone "deserves" or "needs" a CHL, and I am very sensitive to any inference we need MORE laws or "commonsense" restrictions on guns. MD recognizes NONE of the other states' CHLs, and they issue very few of their own.

Folks here are so blessed that many think MD or IL cannot happen here----but it can. All we have to do is start thinking, well, I don't need THAT, so who cares? If I sound impassioned about it, living in a police state for awhile does that.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rod, you have me pictured so far out of context, it's unbelieveable. Nothing I said should have given you cause to suggest that I want to "close the UT license loophole". I simply said, and I repeat, that I don't see the advantages and I do see problems. You see advantages and no problems.

Basically, you would send your money to Utah and I'll leave mine here.

This whole situation seems like we could all just go pick up a Utah drivers license for $2 with no driving test and $1 renewal.

It looks like Maryland has tainted your thinking. And, yet, that Police Chief you referenced is the exact same one I was talking about. If he doesn't want me to have an Oklahoma CCL, he's sure to give me grief if I show up with a Utah license.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rod, you have me pictured so far out of context, it's unbelieveable. Nothing I said should have given you cause to suggest that I want to "close the UT license loophole". I simply said, and I repeat, that I don't see the advantages and I do see problems. You see advantages and no problems.

Basically, you would send your money to Utah and I'll leave mine here.

This whole situation seems like we could all just go pick up a Utah drivers license for $2 with no driving test and $1 renewal.

It looks like Maryland has tainted your thinking. And, yet, that Police Chief you referenced is the exact same one I was talking about. If he doesn't want me to have an Oklahoma CCL, he's sure to give me grief if I show up with a Utah license.

What grief? You are still following the law.

Also the Non-resident Utah permit would have your Oklahoma address. I would also like to point out that many people can simply mot afford the $100 renewal and most charge way more than $60 after the range fee and ammo fee, ect are added in.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is a bit of LEO misunderstanding about the UT non resident permit. As I have said in another thread no LEO i have ran into has heard of it. I have a friend that has recently become a locust grove officer and he never heard of it either.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, where were we before the interruption. Oh, yeah.

Look guys, if you favor the Utah approach and choose to give your money for the class to a Texas company and your money for the fees to Utah, that's fine.

I see no advantage to me to do so. I'd just as soon leave my money in Oklahoma and wind up with a license that's good in 34 other states rather than 29.

And, repete, if a person can afford the gun, ammo and holster, I'm betting the great majority of people can afford the renewal fee of $85 (for 5 years).

BTW, that ad was in the paper down here again yesterday. I guess there must be a lot of takers.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my Utah permit a few months ago and In my line of work I deal with several LEO's, I always show them or tell them I am a CCW holder as required by law. I have not had one officer say they haven't heard of the Utah license.
I usually just get an "O.K." and we finish our business and go on.
We have thought about moving several times (out of state) and that is why I chose the Utah license over the OK. license. I travel to Texas,Louisiana,Arkansas and Missouri alot and my Utah license is good in all those states.
I am just as legal with my Utah license as someone with an Ok. license. I have no reason to think any LEO are going to give me any grief but if they do we will deal with it then and since I am legal I have nothing to worry about!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hipshot, your's seems to be a perfectly valid reason to have such a license. I'm talking about the likelihood of moving to another state. You wouldn't have to re-do.

I'm sure as more and more LEO's get familiar with this license, and as Oklahoman's who offer classes complain, it's only a matter of time until some politician figures out the state is losing money and moves to do something about it.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a LEO I can see a disadvantage for someone to get a non-resident license, be it Utah or any other state. I am sure that the non-resident class teaches the laws of the state from which it is issued. This may cause some issues for someone who does not take the time to become familiar with the laws of Oklahoma, which may be different, such as where you CAN and CANNOT carry. Things like Utah allows carry on college campuses, Oklahoma does not. Also Utah IS NOT a "must notify" law enforcement state, Oklahoma IS. How do you think that is going to turn out when you are detained and found to be carrying a concealed firearm without notifying on first contact? Now I may not be "familiar" with the Utah license, but I am "familiar" with Oklahoma law, and that is what I will be enforcing, not Utah law. You are required to follow the laws of the state you are carrying in, not the state you are licensed in. Also, as an SDA instructor, sometimes the only shooting a person ever does is what is required in the SDA class. I know it isn't much, but something is better than nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom