Change AR handguard. Help recieved!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have these two tools if you need them and don’t want to buy them. I won’t give them to you but I’ll mail them to you to use or meet you part way if you need them faster than the mail moves. Lemme know and we will make it work. Seems like the ONE hand guard I did the toughest part was getting the old nut cracked loose.
A3E91DB0-6241-4264-8EF0-6A0A5876F1C3.jpeg
81BF35A6-021F-475F-A511-F029225F3683.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have the tools you need, but I don’t have as nice of a reciever block. I do have a nice torque wrench though. You should be able to remove the gas tube by removing the bolt carrier, unpin the gas tube, then push the tube into the receiver a bit to unseat it from the gas block. If not, you can always pull the entire gas block, as you’ll need to when swapping out the barrel nut anyways.

More or less, from where you posted your last picture, you’ll need to:

Remove your muzzle device.

Remove your gas block/gas tube.

Remove barrel nut.

Clean threads/mating surfaces. Inspect.

Install new barrel nut. Torque to manufacturers spec. Usually 50-80inlbs or so.

Install gas tube and block. Make sure everything is straight and pointing the right direction. Reinstall pin on gas tube, repin gas block (if necessary).

Reinstall muzzle device

Install new hand guard, tighten down/torque to manufacturers spec.

Brownells has great, no nonsense gunsmithing videos on just about anything your average dude would need. I suggest giving them a look.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Most free float handguards have a proprietary barrel nut as both of yours do. Finding a barrel nut wrench to fit the old one can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

A strap wrench might come in handy to remove the old barrel nut if you don't have a wrench to fit it.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like it is a YHM barrel but or similar. Might need to buy or borrow one of their wrenches to get the old one off. As far as the gas tube is concerned you should be able to remove it from the gas block or remove it with the gas block, as long as it isn’t seized up with carbon from firing.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too have the tools you need, but I don’t have as nice of a reciever block. I do have a nice torque wrench though. You should be able to remove the gas tube by removing the bolt carrier, unpin the gas tube, then push the tube into the receiver a bit to unseat it from the gas block. If not, you can always pull the entire gas block, as you’ll need to when swapping out the barrel nut anyways.

More or less, from where you posted your last picture, you’ll need to:

Remove your muzzle device.

Remove your gas block/gas tube.

Remove barrel nut.

Clean threads/mating surfaces. Inspect.

Install new barrel nut. Torque to manufacturers spec. Usually 50-80inlbs or so.

Install gas tube and block. Make sure everything is straight and pointing the right direction. Reinstall pin on gas tube, repin gas block (if necessary).

Reinstall muzzle device

Install new hand guard, tighten down/torque to manufacturers spec.

Brownells has great, no nonsense gunsmithing videos on just about anything your average dude would need. I suggest giving them a look.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm in over my head here.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide if I'm in over my head here.
Don’t be skeered! Go at it like a biting sow. Just stop and post a picture if your senses start saying something ain’t right. Of course you’ll probably need to buy or borrow some of the tools mentioned.

Its like this: You want the other hand guard on it. Yeah I agree it’s better looking. Well you don’t like the current set up and have the new better setup so the JOB NEEDS DONE!

You’ve got two choices cuz it damn sure won’t swap itself.

A: Find someone to do it for you.
B: Do it yourself.

Choice A might be easier on your nerves. MAYBE! You gotta get it to someone and so on.

Choice B you will know more about your rifle doing it yourself.

My advice is you take someone up on borrowing the tools. Then you’ve got a few of us on OSA that through photos can help you if you’re in trouble.
The choice is obviously yours. Don’t sweat it! Honestly just the gill portion of those guns you know all about makes me scared.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the offers for help, but it would have to be near OKC for me to make it work.

And I'm still trying to figure out if I can talk myself into doing it. That guy can be a bit stubborn and hard headed though.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will take about an hour total. Including set up and teardown. Plus we could go to my range I’m a member of and try it out. I got plans on saturday but free on Sunday. i could even do it at the range. Not ideal but doable. The offer is on the table but there are a lot of us OSA members that will help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom