cheap spotting scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, if you want a spotter for that budget, you won't get a good one at that magnification.

I didn't used to understand why anyone would buy the higher-end models until I got to look through good glass and see the difference.

I would put my Burris 6-24x ($125 at SportsWorld) up against anything you can find for $125 or less at 40x-60x and I'll bet you can see stuff clearer in my spotter than anything else at that price range. And my Burris isn't high-end by any means, but its definitely a step up in clarity from anything I've seen at that price-point.

I can read street signs at a mile away with mine. The Burris is clearer than the 3 higher magnification spotters that I've had the chance to compare it to, so I love it.

My only complaint with the Burris was the cheesy scope covers and lack of tri-pod, but I was planning on upgrading them to Butler Creek flip-ups anyways and found a tri-pod that works at a camera store.

Bushnell makes an OK spotter for $125, but if you want super-clear, you're going to have to step up to more expensive, or step down on magnification - its simple science/economics. Making clear lenses and using solid construction materials and workmanship isn't cheap, especially in clear high-magnification lenses.

True, spotters don't usually take the abuse from bench-rest shooting that rifle-scopes take, but you don't want anything breaking or falling apart either.

There's nothing wrong with being budget conscious, I'm totally for that - but don't expect a clear spotter at 30x plus for anything under $300.

If this is a spotting scope for what is mid-range to long-range shooting, remember: clarity is key. You want to see details in the smaller-than-inch hole you just put in paper at 100-500yds down range (and if you're concerned about seeing details about a group you just made, clarity is even more important). That doesn't come from super-magnification, but from clarity of the lenses. Super magnification with even the slightest lack of clarity won't get you much in the way of details on what you just shot.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would put my Burris 6-24x ($125 at SportsWorld) up against anything you can find for $125 or less at 40x-60x and I'll bet you can see stuff clearer in my spotter than anything else at that price range. And my Burris isn't high-end by any means, but its definitely a step up in clarity from anything I've seen at that price-point.

What is the model number?
Thanks!

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I can read street signs at a mile away with mine. The Burris is clearer than the 3 higher magnification spotters that I've had the chance to compare it to, so I love it.

My only complaint with the Burris was the cheesy scope covers and lack of tri-pod, but I was planning on upgrading them to Butler Creek flip-ups anyways and found a tri-pod that works at a camera store.

Bushnell makes an OK spotter for $125, but if you want super-clear, you're going to have to step up to more expensive, or step down on magnification - its simple science/economics. Making clear lenses and using solid construction materials and workmanship isn't cheap, especially in clear high-magnification lenses.

True, spotters don't usually take the abuse from bench-rest shooting that rifle-scopes take, but you don't want anything breaking or falling apart either.

How many yards to you think I could spot my .223 with this scope

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many yards to you think I could spot my .223 with this scope

I can spot 300yds with my .308 in fairly low light (not dusk/dawn stuff, but forest covering is no problem).

We're punching paper at 300yds all day long and my scope does just fine. I've not used it to spot out further than that at this point, but I've used it to look around at small details and such at 500-700yds. Its not great for 600+, but I can still out-see friends' 40x cheaper spotters.

BrentSP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without a doubt check out the Bushnell Sentry or Trophy spotting scopes. I owned the Simmons and hated it. Gave me an immense migraine for some reason and the optics were horrible. I returned it after a week........I honestly don't think its even worth the 60 bucks I paid.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Simmons for 60 bucks and used it for a while and couldn't even see .22 holes at 50 yards. I threw it(rather hard!) into my kids toy box.
I then bought a Leupold Sequoia 20-45X and it is much better but still not what I would have hoped for, for 200 bucks. I guess I will just have to pony up four or five hunderd dollars to get what I really want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom