check your broad heads...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my son and I had a nice 10 pt about 30 yards outside our ground blind. I lined up the shot and pulled trigger on crossbow. Happened fast and deer turned and ran. We waited and went looking for blood. Well I found my bolt right behind where the buck was. Bo blood on the shaft and no broad head on the end! I guess the broad head had come unscrewed enough to come off when shot, but not enough to be loose when I loaded it.

Dang! was a nice old deer too.

Anyone else had this happen?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Little bit of blue lock-tite will keep this from happening. We've had a lit knock come apart on firing, but never had a broadhead come off. are you sure the insert didn't come out??

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insert still in the bolt? Threaded part of the broad head broke off in the insert?

Can't figure any way a broad head could come completely out of the insert without noticing it was very loose as you put the bolt on the rail??

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to check mine all the time. For some reason they usually become loose between riding in my bow case, to walking to my spot. Once I pull an arrow out of my quiver I always check the broad head, and sometimes have to screw it in to tighten it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck, hopefully you'll see him again.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looked at my arrows when I got to my stand, guess whos missing a broadhead also. Yup, if you guessed indi you are right. I use reapers with a 2" cut, or is it 1.5". Either way it completly unscrewed off, and I have no idea where its at. I still have two more but what a bummer, wish I would of lost the practice tip instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom