Checking in a handgun for flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having flown SW, and checked a pistol, I can speak to what you are doing, and tell you it'll be different for you than it was for me. Heck, what happened on the way there was different than what happened on the way back. In any case, I will tell you the consistencies of what happened with me.

The pistol had to be in a hard sided case, with no ammo in the case. The magazines must be unloaded. I ready that there is a magazine container that you can purchase, but when I asked about it I was told they weren't given the go ahead to approve any loaded magazines. The locks for the case could NOT be TSA locks. I knew this going in so I didn't have TSA locks, but it was reiterated at both check-in's. The ammo should be in a factory package for transportation and, again, should not be in the same case as the pistol.

In both instances I showed up early, as I customarily do, and in both instances I was told to show my pistol was unloaded. After showing my pistol (they never touched it) I was given a paper to put INSIDE the case and told to lock it in front of them. There were some other nuances that I had to deal with in VA, but I think it was more of an am I doing this right thing on behalf of the ticket agent. After locking the case, I was told to put the case in my checked bag and asked to show any ammunition I might have. They had me open the ammo box, and then told me to re-pack it. After that they checked the bag and told me to wait by the counter (15 minutes for OK and 20-30 minutes for VA) in case a screener needed to talk to me. In neither case did a screener need to talk to me, and the rest was smooth sailing.

In my opinion, a lot of people get nervous over nothing with regards to checking a gun.

On a side note, I have seen people take large trunks with everything in them so they can use the non-tsa approved lock to secure everything, but I don't see how that jives with not having the ammo in the same container.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American airlines will not allow you to transport ammo in magazines. If you are flying them make sure you know your airlines specific regulations.

Tulsa to NOLA, the counter agent had me open the case show her the weapons and ammo and place the affidavit in the firearms case.
NOLA to Tulsa agent looked at the case asked if it was locked and had me place the affidavit in the suitcase with the firearms case.

Tulsa to Nashville agent had me place affidavit in bag with locked metal case, did not want it opened for inspection.
Nashville to Tulsa had to open case and place affidavit in the case with the pistols.

Different agents different procedures just be sure you know your airlines policy, I use a browning pistol case with combo lock latch it holds 2 full size or a full size and a bug, or 3 pocket guns (2 in the same caliber) with ammo in original boxes and my knife. Make sure your case meets TSA standards, if it uses padlocks they need to keep the case fully closed if the latches are popped. If you can pry an edge up it's no good.

Hang out down by the ticket counter for 10 to 15 minutes after checking your bag, after that enjoy your flight, it's extremely easy.

Yep, it'll vary depending on the training and intelligence level of the agent you happen to get. That's why I tend to stick with the no-brainer stuff. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom