Chicken question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the answers. I have chickens now. Have for years. They are all layers..speckled sussex..golden laces wyandottes..blue sapphire and such. We had some meat chick we bought a couple of years ago for that purpose ( meat). They grew out in about ten weeks and we butcher ed them and put them in the freezer. But I can't figure out anymore than they were some kind of Cornish x. Just trying to figure which breeds are crossed to get get Cornish cross meat birds.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
genetics-- they are a three way composite at least and are considered terminal cross. if you want to breed them u need the first crossbreed rooster to inseminate the second crossbreed hen. then you have to maintain the four or more flocks to produce the F1 and F2. it is complicated and unnecessary unless you have millions of birds and are a commercial chicken factory. don't try to breed the terminal cross to another of it's own.
PM inbound with my number so that maybe I can pick your brain.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok..my question is what chickens do you cross for meat chickens? I know its like a Cornish cross of some sort but what I'm wanting to do is if SHTF and At woods isn't open anymore to buy meat chicks at what's needed to breed meat chicks?

Cornish Game rooster mated to White Plymoth Rock hens = Cornish Rock cross!

I dont have a incubator (but I want one)!

If I ever get my mitts on one (incubator) I plan on trying the cross!

Finding White Rocks is the easy part.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being able to get commercial broilers from chicks, to the table in 5 / 7 weeks is more than just the breed! My Father was one of the first farmers in Arkansas to go into the commercial chicken business, on a large scale. I was just a kid, but I think to took something like 12 / 14 weeks to get broilers to slaughter weight. Now they do have more efficiant breeds, but they also feed them not only antibiotics, but growth stroids in the water! They time the lights to come on at night to fool the chickens, because they eat every time they think its morning, Kinda like Democrats! Dad went Arkansas Tech at Russellville, after WW2 on the GI Bill,. Dr Thompson, the head of the AG, dept. was advising him on this venture. ( he owned the chickens and bought the feed, medicine then) Dr Thompson was devoloping different breeds if chickens that were more efficiant to be used in these commercial houses. I would go with dad to his farm, and thought that was something. He had some really strange looking chickens. heavy breast, with small wings, and legs, etc. I guess the one that impressed me the most was the three legged chicken! More drumsticks! This seemed to be going well untill someone left the door open, and these three legged chickens escaped. They are so fast, no one has been able to catch one since. there are rumores of lighting fast three legged chickens crossing the roads in the Ozarks, to this day!

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cornish Game rooster mated to White Plymoth Rock hens = Cornish Rock cross!

I dont have a incubator (but I want one)!

If I ever get my mitts on one (incubator) I plan on trying the cross!

Finding White Rocks is the easy part.
Incubator was one of my favorite purchases. Wish I would have known to go with a GQF first. Tried a few others and either poor performance or just didn't last. If you have some fertile eggs I can try it for you until you get an incubator. I think ours holds around 300 eggs so there's plenty of room. We usually do about 100 at a time.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incubator was one of my favorite purchases. Wish I would have known to go with a GQF first. Tried a few others and either poor performance or just didn't last. If you have some fertile eggs I can try it for you until you get an incubator. I think ours holds around 300 eggs so there's plenty of room. We usually do about 100 at a time.
Thank you for such a generous offer, but I am about 1100 miles away! 🙂👍

I have been wanting to get my mitts on a gqf sportsman (cheap) lol!

Been a day late and a dollar short a few times! ☹️

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to raise them for meat, go all in.

Brahma chicken.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked in the chemical that developed and manufacturer the chicken growth hormone.

It was later mixed in the chicken feed.

During development, nobody knew much about it.
My buddy had some turkeys, his daughter was raising for 4H. He somehow obtained an ounce, with instructions to add 4 drops to every quart of water.

Came time for the fair and his daughter presented 3 turkeys over 45#. She didn't win anything. They turkey could not stand, but every one asked his feed. Which he shared exactly what he fed them. Didn't say a word about the water.

Told me later, 1 drop per gallon worked better.

😜

Latest posts

Top Bottom