choke tube question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going dove hunting this weekend and I am going to use my rem 870. I have a modified choke for it, will this work or should I purchase a different one?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before choke tubes came along, modified was considered the standard dove choke, IC for quail.
Course, people have used every choke there is to shoot at doves, and the distance to them determines which is optimum that particular day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for gun mags.
One I read the other day said thattmod was the best choke because of less shot deformation etc.
they had actually set up targets to prove their point, and represented them with properly placed discs showing how the shot pattern progressed through the air.
They run a shotgun shooting program that is well known, so one would have to give them the benefit of the doubt?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mod will work fine. i assume you have a screw in choke. might as well buy a improved cylinder when you have time. this way, if you shoot skeet with this gun it will be more fun and at times depending on the situations, dove might be flying real close to you and a IC will work better. They are only about $20 so not a bit deal. but you are not handicapped at all with a mod.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok so next question, in what order does the chokes work? Is IC a more open choke then a modified?

Yes, IC is more open than modified.

Cylinder bore.
Improved Cylinder
Modified
Full

Those are the most commonly found in order from most open to most constricted. That being said there are tons of custom chokes out there....skeet, extra full, Improved Modified, spreader......and all the differences will need to be explained by someone smarter than me.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mod will work fine. i assume you have a screw in choke. might as well buy a improved cylinder when you have time. this way, if you shoot skeet with this gun it will be more fun and at times depending on the situations, dove might be flying real close to you and a IC will work better. They are only about $20 so not a bit deal. but you are not handicapped at all with a mod.

Or buy a skeet choke if shooting skeet.To the op, I start out with Mod, but carry an imp. just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom