choke tube question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cylinder is the loosest. It's actually no choke at all, but you can order tubes in cylinder. Probably won't find it locally.

Next is Skeet, and Improved cylinder is only slightly tighter than skeet. One of my 20 ga skeet guns is skeet, and the other is IC. I used them interchangably (old 1100 Remingtons) and couldn't tell the difference.

Next common choke is modified. Used a mod choked 1100 12 ga last dove season, and was surprised how well I did, though the birds were typically 30-50 yards away. Close in shots did lots of damage.

Then there's full choke. Not for little birds, but back with some of the pricy non toxic waterfowl shot. Definitely not for steel shot.
Hope this helps.

There are other variations like skeet-1 and skeet-2, Tula chokes, super full, and several others, but cyl, skeet, IC, mod, and full are all you are likely to see and really all you need to know about. Hope this is helpful. CB

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks everyone, this helps alot. I will pic up a IC when i have a few extra $. I will probably pic up the other most common ones if the need arises.

Latest posts

Top Bottom