Cholesterol is Normal!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell you the last time I had a blood test result that showed a normal cholesterol level. All the bran flakes and fish oil is finally paying off! :woohoo1: Now if I can somehow stay away from all the street tacos and BBQ here in Austin...

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly, Dr. Zorba Paster (of NPR's Zorba Paster on Your Health) was discussing the fish oil capsules on this afternoon's show. The consensus now seems to be that they do nothing.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly, Dr. Zorba Paster (of NPR's Zorba Paster on Your Health) was discussing the fish oil capsules on this afternoon's show. The consensus now seems to be that they do nothing.

Dr. Zorba is full of crap.

Before I started taking 2 caps of fish oil a day my cholesterol ran around 285, TriGlycerides ran 425. Take 2 fish oil tabs daily and with no change what so ever in diet my cholesterol dropped into the low 200's usually around 220 or so but never higher than 235. Triglycerides dropped down to high 200's. If I stop taking the fishoil the numbers go right back up.

A friend of my wife had Cholesterol levels in the 700's. Taking fish oil dropped that down to 325. Doctor about had a fit trying to figure out why until she told him she'd started taking fish oil.

And then there are all those cultures around whose primary source of protein is cold water fish within which heart disease is exceedingly rare.

Maybe fish oil doesn't work for everyone - it certainly works for me.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worry less about the fish oil, and more about cutting carbs. I cut carbs, lost 57 pounds, and watched my cholesterol drop from the 240s to 170.

But good on you OP for getting it together. Watching the diet is key, supplement debate aside. Less junk, less processed foods, more natural raw veggies and fruits. It all starts to work.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before Lipitor 80mg daily:
Total Cholesterol - 210
LDL - Bad - 123
HDL - Good - 38

After Lipitor 80 mg daily:
Total Cholesterol - 106
LDL - Bad - 58
HDL - Good - 37