Christmas Eve hoopla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a relaxing day and a half off for Christmas before the blasted plumbing gods reared their ugly head. Sunday, was get the yard raked, so with all the family helping I thought I would drain the water heater tank while we were raking and bagging leaves.

This went very well. As the tank was filling up, daughter decided to wash her hands. Bathroom faucet started leaking at the handle. No problem, have the gaskets and o-rings on hand. Stupid 20 year old fitting for the ballhouse assembly would not come apart. Make a run the hardware store to get new faucet. this is where I could never be plumber by trade when working on older homes. We had 26 years worth of crap under the sink. Cleaning supplies from a store that closed 23 years ago.

After saying a few unpleasant words and my sweet dear son, who is 8, reminding me that those were naughty words, I finally get the old faucet off the sink. And of course, the old shut-offs are bad too. Another run to the hardware store.

8:30 pm and faucet is working like a champ. And, the water heater is still looking good too. Wake up to the better half yelling, "honey, we have a problem". I could she was in the kitchen and my fears had come true. Stupid water heater tank was leaking! Another round of unpleasantries and the same dear sweet 8 year old reminding daddy that those were bad words. Gota love the boy as he is a spitting image of his dear old dad. Without the unpleasant use of words.

Only place open on Christmas Eve is Lowes and it's 35 miles away. Did a quik search on their web page and of course the one I want will be in on 1-8-2012. KMA! Had to go with a smaller one...One bathroom and 4 showers a day will be pushing this one.

Planned ahead this time...Got all new connections from the wall stub to the top of the water heater, tephlon tape and paste. $625.00 later, including the new faucet and it's added costs and all is well. Nice little bite of the year end mad money account, but we have hot water and no leaks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom