Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just walk away. I’ve seen quite a few firearms in the classifieds I’d like to have bought, except the seller insisted on seeing a DL or CCW, or doing the deal through a FFL. I understand the rationale, but if it’s not legally required, I don’t want to go through that rigmarole.
It is a real risk to the seller to not cover their bases at least a bit. If you don't have some sort of paper trail severing your ownership of the firearm and it ends up used in some crime you'll have to explain what happened to lead to your gun being at the crime scene. Not the most likely scenario but it is just like carrying a gun or having insurance. I don't care if someone wants to see my DL or have me sign a basic bill of sale. A bill of sale covers my butt too if they're some snake who wants to claim I just stole their rifle at the meet or something. But I see the privacy side of things too.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why you think I am? I just thought it was laughable that if someone won't budge on a stated price then they shouldn't be selling. It's like you assume we are selling to pay rent. :D

Not sure why you think I am? I just thought it was laughable that if someone won't budge on a stated price then they shouldn't be selling. It's like you assume we are selling to pay rent. :D
read post #40 page 4, last line, I agree it's all laughable if you don't want to sell don't sell if you don't want to buy don't buy,

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a real risk to the seller to not cover their bases at least a bit. If you don't have some sort of paper trail severing your ownership of the firearm and it ends up used in some crime you'll have to explain what happened to lead to your gun being at the crime scene. Not the most likely scenario but it is just like carrying a gun or having insurance. I don't care if someone wants to see my DL or have me sign a basic bill of sale. A bill of sale covers my butt too if they're some snake who wants to claim I just stole their rifle at the meet or something. But I see the privacy side of things too.
No it isn't. YET.
I even know several LE that sell their personal guns bought through FFL (some of them were even duty weapons ) and they don't even ask for ID or worry about that BS.
Several of them are members here.
what I think you should do is ASK, are you in Oklahoma resident, are you a non-felon, are you legal to buy firearms? That's it.
if for some reason you feel that the buyer is shady then it might be diligent to back out of the deal. you're under no obligation to sell to someone who you feel is a criminal. Also, you're under no obligation to do a background check and a face-to-face. Sure, it is wise to cover your ass.
but in the end you do what makes you feel comfortable.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago at wanenmacher i was sitting at the tables on the top level.A private guy had a shotgun for sale with the price on it.A man asked to look at it and pulled out the cash and handed it to the seller.The man with the shotgun was a fed and they arrested the guy for buying from someone that wasn't an Oklahoma resident.Just asking to see an Oklahoma drivers license would have kept him out of jail.Every one on here that i have sold to has had no problem showing me there Oklahoma drivers license or CCW.There is too much to loose by just taking someones word and breaking the law.I want proof you are an Oklahoma resident or i won't do the deal.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago at wanenmacher i was sitting at the tables on the top level.A private guy had a shotgun for sale with the price on it.A man asked to look at it and pulled out the cash and handed it to the seller.The man with the shotgun was a fed and they arrested the guy for buying from someone that wasn't an Oklahoma resident.Just asking to see an Oklahoma drivers license would have kept him out of jail.Every one on here that i have sold to has had no problem showing me there Oklahoma drivers license or CCW.There is too much to loose by just taking someones word and breaking the law.I want proof you are an Oklahoma resident or i won't do the deal.
That doesn't surprise me that the ATF is stinging people at wannamacher. I always make sure that I'm selling to an Oklahoma resident. I've had plenty of out of staters try and buy from me. When I bring up doing a transfer through an FFL they disappear.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That doesn't surprise me that the ATF is stinging people at wannamacher. I always make sure that I'm selling to an Oklahoma resident. I've had plenty of out of staters try and buy from me. When I bring up doing a transfer through an FFL they disappear.

That kinda sounds like entrapment to me.

I hope the guy had a good lawyer, but even if he did beat the rap he didn't beat the ride, or the legal fees.

Sorry bastards.

VTDW1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t know that! Glad I read this. Novice? Yes!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or just walk away. I’ve seen quite a few firearms in the classifieds I’d like to have bought, except the seller insisted on seeing a DL or CCW, or doing the deal through a FFL. I understand the rationale, but if it’s not legally required, I don’t want to go through that rigmarole.
I think that the real fear is whether a gun sold in a 'parking-lot' deal without there being a bill-of-sale provided, can be traced back to the original owner if that gun is used in a crime, especially if the buyer is someone unknown to the seller. It can be a crap-shoot that many simply do not want to risk because the penalties can be very stiff.

Every gun I've sold without using an FFL required [by me] a dual signed bill-of-sale and a glance at an ID just to ensure the names matched. For those that balked at this, I just walked away.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the real fear is whether a gun sold in a 'parking-lot' deal without there being a bill-of-sale provided, can be traced back to the original owner if that gun is used in a crime, especially if the buyer is someone unknown to the seller. It can be a crap-shoot that many simply do not want to risk because the penalties can be very stiff.

Every gun I've sold without using an FFL required [by me] a dual signed bill-of-sale and a glance at an ID just to ensure the names matched. For those that balked at this, I just walked away.
Exactly, if you can't flash and ID and give me some plausible deniability then I don't need to sell to you. No glowie fed is gonna put me on the restricted purchasers list with a bogus felony because someone doesn't want to show me a driver's license. Quick show, I don't need to write down your PII or anything, sign the line that says you can legally own it, my butt is covered and I don't care what you do with it because my hands are clean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom