Cleaning live ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read an article in the Blue press catalog awhile back that said they will tumble their loaded ammo before sending it out. But with the volume of sales now, I'm betting they don't sit on the shelf long enough to tarnish.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are a few ammo importers that I knowing that import
Surplus ammo and tumble it before selling it. Most recent that
I can think of was Southern Ammunition. They had the surplus
.223 and .308 and I've shot several thousand rds myself.
I Have had no problems with it.
Tumble away!

saltydawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are you concerned about how pretty your brass looks? If it doesnt effect the firing ability then why are you sweating it? if it is crudded up enough to effect the firing ability then de-burr the lead and acetone the brass and fire away then reload. see ya at the range.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be one of those here's your sign kind of questions but here it is.I have some loose ammo that has been laying around for awhile and looks like crap.Would it be safe to use my brass cleaning tumbler the clean it up.Sounds like a good idea to me but I don't want live rounds going off in various directions.

Just use some Brasso on it. Don't use enough to get it wet and stay away from the primer.

:hey3:

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a good point as well. The boys in country are probably rollin around with half cans ammo.
"Apparently our US Armed Forces consider is quite safe to put tons of loaded rounds in the wings of a jet fighter. It is doubtful that there is a more adverse condition in which to place ammo. The "horror story" is a rural legend. Loaded rounds are also packed into humvees and currently touring thousands of miles of rough roads all over the world. When one stops to think of where and how we store and use ammo it is very clear that 'tumbling' just sounds alot worse than it really is.

Ammo companies tumble every round before packaging to clean it up
. Furthermore, ammo is trucked from the plant over thousands of miles (and hours) in trailers with a suspension akin to Conestoga wagons, imparting more vibration to the loaded rounds.

not to mention boxcars.. "

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years and years ago, I read a column by Skeeter Skelton where he did this to see the result on the powder before and after tumbling. After tumbling, he pulled the bullets and checked it visually. He said there was no visible change, but he stopped short of saying he shot it or to recommend shooting it.

I just supposed he must have shot it and found no bad effects, or he would not have written the story to begin with. He just did not want to stick his legal neck out to recommend it.

I've not done it though. To me it makes no sense to tumble it unless it's pretty crusty, but if so I wouldn't shoot it in either case. Ammo is high, but cheaper than a firearm, or new fingers, or new eye balls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom