Cleaning the sidelock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remove stock..
Stick breech end into bucket of hot soapy water,, swab with bore mop ,,up and down, up and down .
Do that and it will suck up the soapy water through the nipple.. I actually remove nipple, and clean it separate.

But this soap and water will get it spotless.. then rinse with hot water and spray with rem oil and mop it dry.

It will actually dry really quick with the hot water rinse,, like in a few seconds.

Windex does work well though.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to do like Swampratt posted but now I'm convinced windex prevents rust better.

Either way works fine as long as you get it clean and keep it rust free. Rust is your enemy.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the bucket of soapy water as mentioned above, run a few patches through to dry it out and then apply a coat of bore butter to protect it. You just have to make sure you use some BP solvent and clean out the bore butter before use because it can foul the powder.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead of a bucket, I squirt some Dawn into the toilet, put the breech end in, and swab awhile. Then flush. Instant rinse water! :) Then I pour boiling hot water down the barrel to heat it up. While still hot, swab it with Bore Butter. Just be sure to use some type of hot pad while pouring the hot water down the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom