Gun cleaning solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m nowhere near as thorough with it as many here, but my handgun care typically looks like this:

every range visit, quick disassembly, I wipe down with a rag. Typically microfiber. I make sure to clean anything off the feed ramp. Maybe follow with a silicone impregnated flannel cloth. Clean powder residue flashlight lens. Might run a dry patch or simply shove a paper towel down the barrel. Might hit it with a very light dab of CLP, then wipe off excess. Might use some lubriplate too.

Whenever, typically every half dozen range trips, or every 3-4 months of shooting I will disassemble, soak in simple green, and scrub with nylon brush. Run patch down the barrel, typically just a dry one. Liberal dose of CLP, maybe use a little lubriplate on the rails.

Every year or so I’ll repeat the disassemble and soak/scrub, but actually clean the barrel. Usually use whatever I have laying around to remove copper/lead. I think hoppes is what I’ve been using. Disassemble and wipe down magazines. Actually lube everything properly.

Revolvers are reasonably similar, as are my bolt actions. I am a little more methodical and careful with my shotguns, they’re my babies. Don’t ask about my rimfire as or AR’s/AK’s, lol.

IMG_3479.gif

Last edited:

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clean rarely. Lubricate frequently.

This is the way to get the action as smooth as glass.

(but I do wipe down the outside with a cloth so I don't get carbon stains on my clothes and gear)

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best workbench "tool" I've found for cleaning small parts, watches, guns, jewelry, etc. is a used 2 liter commercial/lab quality ultrasound unit with built-in heater. Purchased at a biology lab going-out-of-business sale. Cleans fingernails too if you can stand the tingle. For squirt-and-brush, a can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber is the deal. But use it outside, and be ready to shoot on a coat of Ballistol or CLP or something similar immediately. Gun Scrubber degreases bare metal so well that flash rust will begin to form VERY quickly.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A gentle, lightly scented soap with warm water. I usually rub carefully, getting the suds into every nook and cranny. Run my fingers over the smooth surface, appreciating the usefulness of such a pleasurable tool. Once I've cleaned and inspected it a non-petroleum based lube is preferred. Just work it in slowly, getting all parts that may rub lubed up generously. Not enough lube on moving parts will cause friction and that could cause problems you really don't want. Getting all parts clean and lubed beforehand is essential to having an enjoyable time when you get ready to use it.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hoppes no 9 for solvent, q tips, old toothbrush, ripped up old t shirts for patches through the bore, wipe it down with a clean rag, then oil with whatever happened to be on sale (Rem oil usually, occasionally 20w-50 if I'm feeling spicy). Every couple weeks even if I haven't fired my carry gun, I'll still clean out the lint and whatnot, just because I like cleaning guns lol

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First step is to not overthink it. Buy some gun cleaner/solvent and some gun oil, get a few patches, a rag, a bore brush/boresnake and an old toothbrush. Take your gun apart, wipe/brush it with the solvent, run the brush/boresnake thru the bore a few times, run a patch thru the bore, wipe everything down, lube it, done.

I wouldn't worry about using the latest and greatest miracle solvent or oil.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A gentle, lightly scented soap with warm water. I usually rub carefully, getting the suds into every nook and cranny. Run my fingers over the smooth surface, appreciating the usefulness of such a pleasurable tool. Once I've cleaned and inspected it a non-petroleum based lube is preferred. Just work it in slowly, getting all parts that may rub lubed up generously. Not enough lube on moving parts will cause friction and that could cause problems you really don't want. Getting all parts clean and lubed beforehand is essential to having an enjoyable time when you get ready to use it.

Damn... Some of these guys are gonna need a cigarette after that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom