Gun cleaning solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one of those tabletop parts washer vats. I usually keep diesel in it to wash the occasional random part, but want to turn it into a gun cleaning station. What would you suggest using?
I'm thinking of buying one of the ultrasonic units too. I want to be able to do an annual deep clean on trigger and bolt assemblies. When you find the right solution let me know!

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I strip them after range days. Carb cleaner on bolts and internals. Wipe down and run brush and patch with hops , assemble and spray lube. Wipe down and done,

If I have been running it hard I’ll drop the bolt in mineral spirits while I clean everything else.

I try to lube every other month if I haven’t been shooting lately.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my pistols, I'll use Gun Scrubber to spray out the triggers. Then I'll use either Hoppes or Ballistol for general cleaning with Q tips and/or patches. Boresnakes for all my barrels. Lube is either a CLP, Hoppes or Rem Oil or more Ballistol. I've got a silicon impregnated rag for exterior wipe down.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally just Hoppes 9 and whatever gun oil I’ve got on hand.

If you ever shoot soft lead bullets and deal with leaded barrels some 100% copper chore boy is a must!

How many rounds are y’all shooting on these range days? Clean after every range trip? Meh.. depends what gun it is. I dont worry about my polymer guns much... maybe clean them once a year or every 500-600rnds. Nice guns on the other hand get cleaned more often, because they deserve it.

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally just Hoppes 9 and whatever gun oil I’ve got on hand.

If you ever shoot soft lead bullets and deal with leaded barrels some 100% copper chore boy is a must!

How many rounds are y’all shooting on these range days? Clean after every range trip? Meh.. depends what gun it is. I dont worry about my polymer guns much... maybe clean them once a year or every 500-600rnds. Nice guns on the other hand get cleaned more often, because they deserve it.
Range days with my rifles are usually 150 rounds plus. Rimfire usually batch testing ammo. I do this one to two times per month. Pistols usually 2 or 3 mags when I'm done with the rifle. My biggest issue with barrel cleaning is keeping the carbon ring under control due to the amount of rounds and how dirty rimfire ammo is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom