Commuting to the act of blasphemy on a lever action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepyj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve kinda been slacking on contributing to this.

well, here’s an update. The abomination is done.
I like it. It’s gonna be a hoot to shoot I feel, and should be pretty handy.

In its stock form, as I bought it from @sleepyj. He did the wrap and slicked up the action a bit View attachment 240584

The carnage:

View attachment 240582View attachment 240583

what’s changed:

XS sights scout rail with ghost sights
Ranger point precision medium loop lever
Ranger point precision trigger
Ranger point precision mag follower
Ranger point precision loading gate
Ranger point precision foreend
Good ol cabelas buttstock pouch/cheek riser.
Full disassemble/clean/degrease with a little bit of polishing.

I couldnt find an aftermarket synthetic/lightweight stock for it, nor could I find another wood stock to abuse, so we’re keeping the original stock in its unaltered for on it now.

it gets worse:

View attachment 240586

I may or may not use the red dot. I would like to get that sweet LER 2x Leupold, but I wanna see how my recent left eye dominant right handed flip flop handles the ghost ring. I would like this rifle to be either iron sights or a super mild LER scope, I have an aversion to batteries on my rifles.
Looks sharp man

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took it out yesterday for the first time. I really like the XS ghost sights. The aperture feels a little big, but for quick shots on pigs and deer within 75 yards, it should do the trick. At 50 yards I was sitting at 2” groups using plain ol federal JSP 158gr factory ammo. I’m sure it will tighten up with some practice and getting a feel for the rifle. I’m tempted to shorten the length of pull down a bit, the sights and how the rifle runs feels better slightly closer to my center of my chest than in the pocket of my shoulder, kinda like how I shoot ARs and AKs. Took it out in the woods to see if I could score a deer, but sadly didn’t happen. It’s wonderful to carry and is fantastic stomping through tough brush though.

I had two things that I didn’t like about it though. My thumbs are too fat to load ammo into the side gate without getting my thumb or nail snagged in there, and despite putting in the ranger point precision trigger, the trigger pull is incredibly heavy. No slop or creep, just an incredibly heavy brick wall. Im willing to bet we’re sitting at 9lbs or better, it’s heavier than shooting my N frame in double action before I smoothed everything up.

any nifty tricks for loading the rifle, or anything I can do to make life easier? I already have a lightened gate on it.

anything else I can do to reduce trigger pull weight? The RPP trigger is supposed to have dropped the pull down considerably, but that hasn’t happened. I’m sending them an email about it, but if they don’t do anything, what else can I do?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You don't have to push the cartridge all the way in with your thumb/finger. Use another cartridge to push it in that last little bit.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread really makes me want to get rid of my AR that I don’t shoot and get a lever gun.
With the cost of ammo, I really don’t shoot my ar or ak any. I got plenty of target practice with the platform back when I was in the Marines. I think it’s been 2 years since I’ve even shot my AR. This lever gun is similar in principle, it was the do it all trusty sidekick that the AR has become, but if you wanna shoot out much further than 100 yards then the AR is the answer. You certainly won’t be shooting coyotes (or much of anything other than maybe the broad side of a barn) with a lever gun at 300-400 yards, that’s for sure. But I would trust a 357mag rifle to take down anything in Oklahoma short of a black bear or an elk before I would a 556 AR.

however, if there was a serious emergency where I needed to protect myself or my family, I would be reaching for the faithful AR or AK before the lever gun. But I’m willing to bet that I’ll spent the rest of my life hunting animals or paper, rather than getting into firefights with animals that shoot back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom