compact/sub compact 45 acp to carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hunglow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've post so I'll start by saying hello to all! I have slimmed down to only 9mm and have been missing the bigger bang in my life. I started thinking about buying another smaller 45 when i started thinking about a G36 I owned at one time. I loved to carry it with the thinner single stack setup but i don't like the capacity. So then i contemplated a G30s (best of both worlds right) until I remembered the Springfield xdm 3.8 compact 45. I own the same weapon in 9mm and it's lights out. Same width & length as 30s roughly same capacity depending on the mag backup mag is 13 rounds and fits/looks correct unlike 21 mag in 30s. Anyone that can compare these that have shot them? I'm not brand loyal owner so I'd prefer unbiased opinions on the guns themselves. Instead of Glocks are the best in the world so buy it. I still own many Glocks, Springfields and S&W's so there will be no gang fights in my safe :gun2: Thanks in advance for the info guys!

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the XDs in 9mm. People seem to be just as happy with the .45, so it's worth a look. Capacity is probably the biggest issue, if you are a fan of high count mags.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an XDS in .45, great shooting gun... probably put at least 1K through it and never had a problem. Now have the 9mm.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wife recently picked up an XDm compact (3.8) in 45. She really enjoys shooting it. The double-stack grip doesn't really feel like a double stack to either of us. It weighs almost as much as a 1911 when loaded, but you get twice the trigger pulls when using the extended mag compared to a GI 1911. Really, the only thing it needs is a set of night sights. It shoots point-of-aim, and points very well for her. For me, but grip angle feels a tad bit off going right from the 1911, but nothing that couldn't be adjusted for with some range time.

Fit and finish are great, as can be expected. The extra mag, pal swell adjusting pieces etc. . . are all very nice to have especially for a shooter that is unfamiliar with the platform and isn't sure what fits them best. Being able to change out the parts for a custom fit adds a bit of confidence and can appreciably change felt recoil and reliable ejection of spent casings. Unlike a 1911, the XDm seems to be a bit less finicky with grip. For me, it's no problem. I can eject spent brass into the next county, but the wife is a little 'gentler' with how she handles the gun. Luckily, it's fairly forgiving and will still reliably eject brass for her. Some right at her feet, some quite a distance. The variable is grip and shooter form. Suffice it to say, we've yet to have an FTE. Something I can't say for the 1911 in her hands.

While there are some used pistols on the market, you don't see a flood of XDm's in 45. I can only speculate about the reason though. For me, the 3.8 compact is too short. If feels stubby and pitches up too much in the hand as I fire it. Again, my disdain comes from shooting a 1911. It's not the pistols fault. If I were choosing one of the XDm versions for me, it would be full size, 45acp.

1hunglow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I've owned a few XDS' in 9mm and 45 so really not looking to go there again just wanting something a bit different. I've shot several PM9's and that trigger is a turn off to me unless there is a easy solution like with m&p and xdm.. I'm not huge on the whole heavy trigger for carry weapons. I'm not saying the trigger needs to be like a bench rest gun but there is a happy medium. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming. Since I love the 3.8 xdm 9 that I have I see the 45 coming soon but if another suggestion pops up I like. I'll probably look at buying it also. You can never have too many!

Latest posts

Top Bottom