Complete Guide to being a Boat Captain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of my days in Michigan. At one boat launch people would bring lawn chairs, a cooler full of beer and watch all day. Hilarity would typically ensue.

One time at a public park they had a daytime concert event which many boaters came too. Boats were docked all along the canal. Many of the boaters were drinking. The sheriff department boat was at the far end and needed to respond to an emergency, so they took off creating a huge wake, damaging many boats as they bobbed up and down against the wall. About 75 boats were damaged, some more severe than others. Don't know if any of the owners sued, probably created over $100K in damage.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of my days in Michigan. At one boat launch people would bring lawn chairs, a cooler full of beer and watch all day. Hilarity would typically ensue.

One time at a public park they had a daytime concert event which many boaters came too. Boats were docked all along the canal. Many of the boaters were drinking. The sheriff department boat was at the far end and needed to respond to an emergency, so they took off creating a huge wake, damaging many boats as they bobbed up and down against the wall. About 75 boats were damaged, some more severe than others. Don't know if any of the owners sued, probably created over $100K in damage.
Sounds like a good time! Can't beat free entertainment. I hate public boat ramps at large lakes. Never seem to have any trouble at small lakes.

Bet them boat owners were PISSED. Qualified immunity for the sherrif.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time! Can't beat free entertainment. I hate public boat ramps at large lakes. Never seem to have any trouble at small lakes.

Bet them boat owners were PISSED. Qualified immunity for the sherrif.
Yeah, they were, the shouting started during and after. Lots of damaged fiberglass.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite YouTube channels is Miami boat ramps. Watching the idiots try to launch and dock is hilarious.
Boated all my life so I have some great stories as well.
Love boating on large bodies of water. I had a license at age 14 with the ability to pilot boats up to 66 feet in length, 660 HP per engine. Ironic I ended up in Oklahoma.

the 4th of July Fireworks on the Detroit River was always fun, but dangerous. Lots of boats, lots of drinking (not me if piloting, or if I saw the captain drinking.) Invariably many boats ran aground, collided, struck floating objects and sunk. On one Fourth of July weekend saw a boat just below the surface, a cabin cruiser drifting in the lake, dozens of empty beer cans floating along side. That told the story. Actually kind of neat to watch recoveries of sunken vessels, a barge with a crane was used.

Last edited:

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite YouTube channels is Miami boat ramps. Watching the idiots try to launch and dock is hilarious.
Boated all my life so I have some great stories as well.
Yeah that's a good one. I'm partial to Credit Card Captain because I like his more dry style of narration/jokes.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love boating on large bodies of water. I had a license at age 14 with the ability to pilot boats up to 66 feet in length, 660 HP per engine. Ironic I ended up in Oklahoma.

the 4th of July Fireworks on the Detroit River was always fun, but dangerous. Lots of boats, lots of drinking (not me if piloting, or if I saw the captain drinking.) Invariably many boats ran aground, collided, struck floating objects and sunk. On one Fourth of July weekend saw a boat just below the surface, a cabin cruiser drifting in the lake, dozens of empty beer cans floating along side. That told the story Actually kind of neat to watch recoveries of sunken vessels, a barge with a crane was used.
The ability or the experience at 14? That's a big damn boat. Also what brought you down here?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ability or the experience at 14? That's a big damn boat. Also what brought you down here?
I had the license and the ability. They had power squadron classes sponsored by the Coast Guard Auxiliary which my Dad and I attended. They had two weeks worth of classes on power boating during the spring. We went to every class and at the end you got a license. The test was about two hours long and scored after the class. If you were under 16 you only were required to take 1/2 the test, if you passed it you would get a permit to pilot an outboard powered boat up to 16 feet in length. Being bored I decided to take the full test and scored in the 90's. Adults got a certificate and a card if they wanted it and teens got a certificate and card for outboard use. The two officers were surprised and started talking, and said, he took the full test and did well, and said you passed and gave me a license card that they filled out and signed. They said we're doing this since it appears you have taken this very seriously, and gave me the adult license.

Being a teen in Michigan was very fun. That card gave me some clout, actually worked in a boat sales shop washing boats during the summer, and getting to move them around the Marina to show customers, if I could get away with it I'd go onto the lake and make a wide loop. Most were speedboats or ski boats.

Largest boat I piloted was an Ocean Yacht 57. Twin Cat diesels. I was in my 20's. A summer job of prepping it for the owner's weekend excursions. I'd do that about once every couple of weeks. He paid well. He said if I could start it, I could take it out. No ignition key, but did have a start button in the engine room (a very cramped space.)

My Dad and Grandfather both had Cabin Cruisers. I've piloted 29 ft boats (my Dad's), A 36 and 40 ft boat (my grandfathers.) Back in the 80's boats were very affordable in comparison to today. I really miss my Dad and my maternal Grandfather, Ironically I never new in spite of a close relationship that my Maternal Grandfather was in the Navy, and found that out long after his death a few years back.

My Paternal Grandfather never had a boat, however he had one of the largest tool sets in his garage I've ever seen up until the time he moved out of his home and into an apartment. He was also the guy in the Meme who had a board from 1957 he put away, and used it finally in 1979...

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the license and the ability. They had power squadron classes sponsored by the Coast Guard Auxiliary which my Dad and I attended. They had two weeks worth of classes on power boating during the spring. We went to every class and at the end you got a license. The test was about two hours long and scored after the class. If you were under 16 you only were required to take 1/2 the test, if you passed it you would get a permit to pilot an outboard powered boat up to 16 feet in length. Being bored I decided to take the full test and scored in the 90's. Adults got a certificate and a card if they wanted it and teens got a certificate and card for outboard use. The two officers were surprised and started talking, and said, he took the full test and did well, and said you passed and gave me a license card that they filled out and signed. They said we're doing this since it appears you have taken this very seriously, and gave me the adult license.

Being a teen in Michigan was very fun. That card gave me some clout, actually worked in a boat sales shop washing boats during the summer, and getting to move them around the Marina to show customers, if I could get away with it I'd go onto the lake and make a wide loop. Most were speedboats or ski boats.

Largest boat I piloted was an Ocean Yacht 57. Twin Cat diesels. I was in my 20's. A summer job of prepping it for the owner's weekend excursions. I'd do that about once every couple of weeks. He paid well. He said if I could start it, I could take it out. No ignition key, but did have a start button in the engine room (a very cramped space.)

My Dad and Grandfather both had Cabin Cruisers. I've piloted 29 ft boats (my Dad's), A 36 and 40 ft boat (my grandfathers.) Back in the 80's boats were very affordable in comparison to today. I really miss my Dad and my maternal Grandfather, Ironically I never new in spite of a close relationship that my Maternal Grandfather was in the Navy, and found that out long after his death a few years back.

My Paternal Grandfather never had a boat, however he had one of the largest tool sets in his garage I've ever seen up until the time he moved out of his home and into an apartment. He was also the guy in the Meme who had a board from 1957 he put away, and used it finally in 1979...
Sounds like some great times. Tough to hear about your Dad and grandfather. I try to make an effort to spend time with my dad and son for those reasons. Wish boats were still affordable!

Latest posts

Top Bottom