Concerning walk behind trimmers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DR is highly recommended, but the models I reviewed have a Briggs and Stratton engine.

On the other hand, the Craftsman brand (on Lowes website) has the Kubota engine.

Difference?

Briggs and Stratton is just the Harry Homeowner brand, and I need a pretty serious trimmer for fencing on rural acreage.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of mowers with Kohler engines and they've held up well. The first one outlasted the rest of the mower. Still using the second, so hard to say but have had it several years. Have had to fix other minor issues, but no problems with the engine.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That new Professional Series B&S engine seems to be well made. They redesigned it in 2019 or so. I wouldn't own a standard B&S, but the pro series I wouldn't balk at at all.
That said, a lot of DR Power's stuff is underpowered or poorly made. I've used their leaf vacs, trimmers, and chippers. All aren't meant for heavy duty use, regardless of what they say.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL bought one DR trimmer. It worked for a ye or two. I had to fix it, others had to fix it several times a year. Bought new one. Rinse, repeat. I have been sitting on the last one for three years. Got it running just fine. Take it to cut and it dies. Spin in the air, can do it forever. Hate them. Get a good heavy duty Stihl or Echo or Yokohama and cry once, those machines keep working.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FIL bought one DR trimmer. It worked for a ye or two. I had to fix it, others had to fix it several times a year. Bought new one. Rinse, repeat. I have been sitting on the last one for three years. Got it running just fine. Take it to cut and it dies. Spin in the air, can do it forever. Hate them. Get a good heavy duty Stihl or Echo or Yokohama and cry once, those machines keep working.
I just read where Generac bought them out. The search goes on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom