Considering a suppressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just mean if you wanna pop a few animals off without scaring the others. I can see it being ideal for prairie dogs. Or rabbits. Heck even deer if you got the tags.

Other than that I don’t hear my rifle either when i shoot a deer. Adrenaline is wild.
I didn't hear the bangs either. But the ringing for the last 40 years kind of bothers me.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please do research before purchase.
There is everything out there from barely knocking the kraaack off to click pffft.
The most expensive does NOT mean the best. If you want compact? Be prepared they dont quiet that much. Not like Hollywood. Length and girth are needed to absorb gas and noise.
Go to ranges and experience other's cans.
223/556 is one of the hardest to make really quiet.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like everything else it depends on application. I have a few for .22, .45acp, and 7.62. I use subsonic for the pistols, the 7.62’s are NOT hunting rifles, unless you call em 2 legged varmints. If all you use it for is to go to the range it’s a waste of time and money.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not worth it, fun and cool is about it. My main reason is home protection and hunting.
If you need your home defense weapon at 0400, having a suppressor on it is very worth it. You can’t call time out and get your hearing protection. Plus, you just woke up, adrenaline pumping. Your first shot may not be on target, there might be more than one. Ears ringing puts you at a disadvantage, plus muzzle flash gives away your position. I’m not trying to change your mind, if your one of these people that buys a $300 Taurus and think thats all you need, rock on. I run an Osprey on my .45 bedside within reach. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely shoot any weapon without one. When I am out roaming the wild I want to be able to hear my surroundings and not have my ears ringing if I need to take a quick shot or two at a yote or hog. All my home defense guns have one dedicated to each. I still use muffs or plugs when I am range shooting even with the cans.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, looking for some honest answers. Is it worth the wait? Expense?

Is it worth the wait? For me, yes. For you? Depends. E-file is coming back a LOT sooner than paper so hopefully the wait times have gone down.

Expense? $200 + whatever your can costs + the amount of ammo you will burn through. Giggle factor is a real thing with suppressors.

.22, PCC setups, handguns, are a ton of fun. In addition, I will probably always have a suppressor on my bedside B&T. No need to lose what hearing I have left.

Don't understand some of the other comments. People use subsonic ammo and I see all sorts of guys use suppressors when they hunt. Lotsa hog hunting boys do for sure lol.

Hopalong49

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are addicting and worth the expense and hassle of the atf paperwork. Im a big fan of Thunderbeast but they are on the upper end as cost goes. Everyone has their own personal brand preference but alot of other companies judge their cans against Thunderbeast. Full disclosure I’m a dealer but pd full retail price for all my cans before I became a dealer for them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom