Constitutional Carry (SB 1212) on the OK House floor 4/23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's 14 days and we are 5 ... or 6 ... days in now. I'm not sure whether the day it passed is counted as day 1 or if it starts the next day, so don't quote me. Where are the guys who know this stuff for sure?

ETA: Ok, the way it was explained to me was the clock starts the day the bill hits her desk. And that is not typically the day a bill is passed unless there is a compelling reason to rush it to her. Usually it's a day or two after ... so ... I still dunno exactly when the 14 days started.

Okay. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We were discussing last night whether she had out-played the Legislature. Once they adjourned, there is no coming back without HER calling a special session, so she could very easily pocket veto and there wouldn't be a damn thing they could do but eat crow. Time will tell ... clock is ticking ... think I'll call again today. Never hurts and only takes a few minutes.
Actually, thats not the truth. The legislators CAN call themselves back in session to address any veto. I got that info from on of the members on 1520 talk radio. The Chad Alexander show constantly covers this stuff as it plays out. Might want to listen from 3-6 pm. Good show.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I think it's 14 days and we are 5 ... or 6 ... days in now. I'm not sure whether the day it passed is counted as day 1 or if it starts the next day, so don't quote me. Where are the guys who know this stuff for sure?

ETA: Ok, the way it was explained to me was the clock starts the day the bill hits her desk. And that is not typically the day a bill is passed unless there is a compelling reason to rush it to her. Usually it's a day or two after ... so ... I still dunno exactly when the 14 days started.
IF the session was still in (which it is not) she would have 5 days to sign it or it automatically becomes law. Since the session is adjourned she then has 15 days from the day it was passed - Saturdays are included but Sundays are not - so she has until the 21st or its a pocket veto.
I'm still optimistic she will sign it.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what was the purpose of the emergency clause? It seems it has no effect on the veto-ability and from what I have read it does not change the effective date of Nov 1 listed in the bill. (sorry if this was already covered but I couldn't find the answer)

MosinMann

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what was the purpose of the emergency clause? It seems it has no effect on the veto-ability and from what I have read it does not change the effective date of Nov 1 listed in the bill. (sorry if this was already covered but I couldn't find the answer)
There's no emergency clause on this particular bill, so if signed, it will be effective Nov 1. In general, an emergency clause makes the bill measure effective immediately upon the Governor signing. An emergency clause is voted on immediately after a bill passes. If the emergency clause then passes, it supersedes the effective date on the bill. A bill author will want an emergency clause if something needs to be implemented immediately and can't wait a few months.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no emergency clause on this particular bill, so if signed, it will be effective Nov 1. In general, an emergency clause makes the bill measure effective immediately upon the Governor signing. An emergency clause is voted on immediately after a bill passes. If the emergency clause then passes, it supersedes the effective date on the bill. A bill author will want an emergency clause if something needs to be implemented immediately and can't wait a few months.

Several previous posters were saying it passed in the senate with an “emergency status/emergency clause".

Now I'm confused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom