Convincing someone that they need to CC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a very naive relative that I am trying to convince to get their CC licence so I don't have to constantly worry about them being attacked/home invasion/ etc. One of her crazy arguments is that she always has 3 or 4 kids with her and who would attack a person with that many kids with them. I know, I know, that's the worst reasoning ever! What I'm looking for are crime statistics related to attacks in parking lots, etc. Does anyone know a good online resource to find that type of data?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to get graphic in order to get the point across...

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's kind of like trying to convince someone to quit smoking...they won't do it until they want to, or something happens to make the lightbulb come on.

MickeyMouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try some training. Going to a CC class and or a intro to handguns class might provide some insight as well as develop some level of comfort with having a gun around the house at least. Tulsa Defensive Shooting Academy (TDSA) instructors are excellent, and are work with each individual in their level, as well as provide a ladies only course. Also, having young kids around the house, the extra grip safety the XD offers, provides me with a little bit of added security against an accidental discharge.

I took my wife to both classes and she is at least comfortable with having the gun in the house. She also has the confidence she could defend herself and the kids should she have too.

Good luck,

Les

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you want to convince someone to carry a gun that doesn't want to?

There is no reason to put another gun on the street with someone that doesn't want to carry it, or isn't properly prepared to use it. You are better off trying to convince this person to take some self defense classes, attend personal safety classes, and perhaps get some pepper spray. A gun isn't going to keep her safe, a change in mindset can help though. Too many people start with "carry a gun" as a solution, it can be a step in the process, but not the first one.....

My wife's perspective changed after taking a firearms class for women, and her CC class. She wants more training before she actively carries. I am fine with that as I want her to be prepared to use the gun if she is going to carry it.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree that she needs proper training prior to carrying, and I've told her this. The problem lies not in a fear of guns, but of a rose colored glasses outlook on people/society in general. I'm just trying to get the message across that there are people out there who will attempt to hurt you no matter how nice you are, and you need to be prepared to handle that situation. So far, I haven't had much luck.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree that she needs proper training prior to carrying, and I've told her this. The problem lies not in a fear of guns, but of a rose colored glasses outlook on people/society in general. I'm just trying to get the message across that there are people out there who will attempt to hurt you no matter how nice you are, and you need to be prepared to handle that situation. So far, I haven't had much luck.

Send her to TDSA's Intro to Firearms for Women. Marshall will share with her what the real world is like. You might also try to find a time when Lori Fullbright is speaking somewhere, she deals with this everyday and has alot of experience to share.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my mom is kinda like that. she hates the fact that i carry, and won't let me in her house with a loaded firearm. she always takes my mags, but i always have at least 1 extra. she thinks that the reason i carry is because of some bad things that have happened to me, and that i need counciling because i carry a firearm. she's a nut, but she's my mom. i was able to get her to shoot my AR though, and she kinda liked it

Latest posts

Top Bottom