Court Rules Off-The-Grid Living Is Illegal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living off the grid is illegal in Cape Coral, Florida, according to a court ruling Thursday.

Special Magistrate Harold S. Eskin ruled that the city’s codes allow Robin Speronis to live without utility power but she is still required to hook her home to the city’s water system. Her alternative source of power must be approved by the city, Eskin said.

As previously reported in Off The Grid News, Speronis has been fighting the city of Cape Coral since November when a code enforcement officer tried to evict her from her home for living without utilities. The city contends that Speronis violated the International Property Maintenance Code by relying on rain water instead of the city water system and solar panels instead of the electric grid.

“It was a mental fistfight,” Speronis’ attorney Todd Allen said of Eskin’s review of his clients’ case. “There’s an inherent conflict in the code.”

Part of the conflict: She must hook up to the water system, although officials acknowledge she does not have to use it.

Speronis told Off The Grid News in February she hopes to win her case and set a precedent for others in her situation. After court Thursday, Speronis told Off The Grid News that she actually won on two of three counts, although she acknowledged her legal battle is far from over.

“But what happens in the courtroom is much less important than touching people’s hearts and minds,” she said. “I think that we are continuing to be successful in doing just that and I am so pleased — there is hope! [Friday] morning, as I took my two hour walk, there was a young man, unknown to me, who drove by me, tooted his horn and said, ‘Robin, congratulations on your victory yesterday, keep up the fight and God bless you.’ That is beautiful.”

Magistrate Admits Code is Unreasonable

Eskin spent several hours reviewing the case and admitted that the code might be obsolete, the local Press-News newspaper reported.

“Reasonableness and code requirements don’t always go hand-in-hand … given societal and technical changes (that) requires review of code ordinances,” Eskin was quoted as saying.

Eskin’s remarks indicate that he views the code as both obsolete and unreasonable and in need of change. Yet he felt he had to enforce it.

The city did overstep its authority and may have violated due process procedures, Eskin noted. He felt that the city had not given Speronis proper notice of violations and ruled that some of the charges against her were unfounded.

“I am in compliance,” Speronis told the News-Press. “I’m in compliance of living … you may have to hook-up, but you don’t have to use it. Well, what’s the point?”

Case is Unresolved

Speronis disconnected all the utilities from her modest home in Cape Coral for an experiment in off-the-grid living some time ago. City officials ignored her activities until she went public and discussed them with Liza Fernandez, a reporter for a local TV station. A code enforcement officer designated Speronis’s home as uninhabitable and gave her an eviction notice a day after the piece aired.

The widow and former real estate agent now has two choices. She can either restore her hookup to the water system by the end of March or appeal Eskin’s ruling to the courts.

It is not known what action the city will take but city officials told Fernandez that they would be willing to let Speronis stay in her home if conditions are “sanitary.” At the hearing, Eskin noted that city officials have not actually been in Speronis’s home to make that determination.

The International Property Maintenance Code is used in communities throughout the United States and Canada. The code states that properties are unsafe to live in if they do not have electricity and running water. Speronis has electricity and water. She gets running water by collecting rainwater and electricity from solar panels.

http://www.wwntradio.com/news/news....d-living-is-illegal-from-off-the-grid-newscom

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the issue? Local official trying to mindlessly enforce rules that were made for a different situation - so appeal to the city council, etc. Seems like the judge tried to balance reasonableness with having to uphold valid statutes. The Appeals Court, if she goes that route, may even just tilt things her way completely.

Do you know if the Special Magistrate is the equivalent of an adminsitrative law judge or something like that? This seems like the kind of issue that would go before an admin law judge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my way of thinking the sewer would be the only issue. If she is using it, she is not completely off the grid.
If she is not using the sewer, what is she doing with her bodily waste?
What about refuse? Is she using the landfill, or local pickup?
If either, she owes the city for their services.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...ighting-to-live-‘off-the-grid’-234050584.html
The fight of Cape Coral, Florida resident Robin Speronis to live “off the grid” has escalated with the city’s recent decision to cap her access to the sewer so she can no longer use it. It’s a move she calls, “pure evil.”
Since November 2013, WFTX Fox 4 has reported on Ms. Speronis’ ongoing battle with the city to live without most utilities. The self-sufficient woman has lived for more than a year-and-a-half using solar energy, a propane camping stove, rain water, and eating mainly non-perishable food. However, the day after the station’s first profile of her lifestyle Speronis’ home was tagged by the city code enforcement with a notice to vacate.

The notice to vacate posted on Robin Speronis' home. (WFTX)

The story of her plight spread and many rallied around Speronis’ cause sending Cape Coral officials complaints in support of the woman. WFTX reported that the city clarified that, “…municipalities don’t have the power to evict,” and that the notice was placed because they, “…merely [wanted] access to the home to provide suggestion so Speronis can live off the grid in Cape Coral.” After that incident, Speronis told the station, “Cape Coral needs to be afraid of me, I’m not afraid of them.”

Robin Speronis with officers at her home. (WFTX)

In January attorney Todd Allen, who agreed to represent Speronis pro-bono, was served with a five-page amended violation notice that cited international property maintenance code and city ordinances. Allen said that the two sets of codes are not clear, "What is a private water system? That's not defined in either code. But if one code accepts it, then they shouldn’t, the other shouldn't negate the ability to have one."

Todd Allen (WFTX)

Last week, Speronis appeared before Special Magistrate Harold S. Eskin and was found not guilty of violating city codes requiring a proper electrical and sewer system. Though, Speronis was found guilty of violating a code requiring an approved water supply. Eskin ordered that she hook-up to the cityutilities. In response Speronis told WFTX and The News-Press, “That doesn’t make common sense. So why would I do that? Why would I hook, hook up to the city water and then not use it?”

Robin Speronis' rain water collection barrels. (WFTX)

Also discussed at the special hearing was the fact that Speronis had been using the sewer system for the past year yet not paying for the service amassing a past due bill in the thousands. After her testimony admitting that she had used the service without paying for it, the city decided to cap the sewer line. Connie Barron, Cape Coral spokesperson told The News-Press, “She also gave clear indications she does not intend to pay for this service but intends to continue to use the system. We really had no choice but to cap the sewer.”

Speronis’ time living on the grid hasn’t gone so well for her either. As reported by the Cape Coral Daily Breeze , in June 2011, she plead no content to larceny, and was sentenced to 10 years of state probation and ordered to pay $32,000 in restitution. In January 2012, she had her real estate license revoked following a second complaint that she had not returned a $3,500 deposit following a failed condo sale.

(Lee County Sheriff's Office)

The magistrates order takes effect on March 28 however Speronis says that her attorney can stay the decision during the appeal process. Speronis seems to stands firm on her decision to live off the grid and said that she had a way to do without the sewer system in a sanitary fashion.

she has been using the sewer and I agree she needs to pay for it. Its total crap though that she can't be allowed to live without Electricity because the govt deems it harmful? Electricity hasn't been around that long people did fine without it. It seems she has some other serious issues with her level of honesty though which makes me question her entire story. This sucks why can't people just be good and honest That way when the govt screws them over they don't end up looking like a total jackass.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So she was living off the grid, but not really. How did she figure she was entitled to free sewer service? Oh, I know because she was so nobly abstaining from the other utilities....facepalm.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sucks.
But she was using the sewer without paying for it.
No need for sewer.. there are in home reclamation units.
And there are waterless toilets.or compost toilets.
You could use dishwater and laundry water to water plants etc..

You do not need the city sewer if you do it correctly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is she doing with her refuse ?
At some point she has to get rid of trash.
Be it local trash service, or somebody's dumpster in the night, there isn't any way to 100% recycle everything.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way the charge for sewage is based off water usage, at least where I live. Maybe she thought she's evening it out for all her neighbors that are being charged sewage by watering their lawns? :nono1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom