Cowboy's coaches die in plane crash :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron Driver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang that is not good, I am guessing it was a single engine plane.

Edit: They updated the story
single-engine, four-seat Piper PA-28 Cherokee

Hopefully pickens upgrades thier planes looks like it was a 60's model.

I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood your tone, but as a professional aviator, nothing irks me more than hearing the condescending tone that the media and the uninformed general public use when referring to "small single engine planes." Believe it or not, light twin engine aircraft are statistically more dangerous than light singles, purely because the engines are not powerful enough to give the aircraft the ability to climb on one engine. Have you heard the old joke about how the second engine gets you to the scene of the crash? There is a certain amount of truth to that joke when dealing with light twins.

Single engine aircraft are as safe as the pilot in command and the mechanic make them. Many of them fly across this country every day without incident, and many of those are aircraft that were manufactured in the sixties and seventies. If we maintained cars as well as aircraft, many more people would be driving a '67 Chevy.

Yes, this is tragic. Pilots everywhere will read the accident report when it comes out, and hopefully learn something new, or have lessons taught to them by their instructors reinforced. This would be equally tragic if they died in a car accident, but how many people would ask why they were driving in a small, single engine car from the 1960's?

I will also wait for the completed NTSB report before I assign blame. Right now, I'll just pray for their families.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Also killed in the crash were Olin and Paula Branstetter. The Branstetters were OSU alumi. Both were certified pilots, but authorities say Mr. Branstetter was piloting the plane.

I thought that after half of the men's basketball team got wiped out in a plane piloted by an alumni years back that OSU had put official policies in place forbidding the practice of having people ferried about by alumnus pilots.

Even without a policy one would think that they'd have learned a lesson.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that after half of the men's basketball team got wiped out in a plane piloted by an alumni years back that OSU had put official policies in place forbidding the practice of having people ferried about by alumnus pilots.

Even without a policy one would think that they'd have learned a lesson.

In an updated article, that question was answered by an OSU spokesman that the policy did not address this type of trip with coaches only on a short hop. It could just as well have been a auto accident and it would have been no less of a tragedy.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood your tone, but as a professional aviator, nothing irks me more than hearing the condescending tone that the media and the uninformed general public use when referring to "small single engine planes." Believe it or not, light twin engine aircraft are statistically more dangerous than light singles, purely because the engines are not powerful enough to give the aircraft the ability to climb on one engine. Have you heard the old joke about how the second engine gets you to the scene of the crash? There is a certain amount of truth to that joke when dealing with light twins.

Single engine aircraft are as safe as the pilot in command and the mechanic make them. Many of them fly across this country every day without incident, and many of those are aircraft that were manufactured in the sixties and seventies. If we maintained cars as well as aircraft, many more people would be driving a '67 Chevy.

Yes, this is tragic. Pilots everywhere will read the accident report when it comes out, and hopefully learn something new, or have lessons taught to them by their instructors reinforced. This would be equally tragic if they died in a car accident, but how many people would ask why they were driving in a small, single engine car from the 1960's?

I will also wait for the completed NTSB report before I assign blame. Right now, I'll just pray for their families.

Wasn't trying to turn this into an argument, start a new thread if you want. So i guess your saying it was pilot error if it wasn't engine failure? Single engine cars just pull over to the side of the road when they quit, plane hits the ground. Yes i would rather have a newer turbo prop than a single engine piston powered plane from the 60's. I was just reporting the news i did not write it. Maybe i should have just put your last line to make all the professional aviator's happy.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being an alum really doesn't make much difference here. This is just too tragic, and it brings up the memories of losing the TEN, years ago. Son of good friend was on the plane then, ten plus years ago. I just don't know what to say anymore, but please let us pray for the families. Thank you.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just FYI, federal guidelines require an airplane to be pratically disassembled each year for inspection. It isn't just maintanance, if they are not perfect, they don't fly. There is nothing wrong with flying a 40-year old plane. If it is inspected, it is considered safe. Stuff still breaks, but the age of the plane has little to do with that.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Four people died in the crash...not just the two coaches. Prayers out to the families of everyone who was lost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom