Cows don't make the best lawn ornaments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is gonna sound mean, but me and my 30-06 would claim a couple each year for the freezer. You might as well get something out of the deal.

I haven't gone that far, yet. I have peppered the ass of a few obstinate bull's rears with birdshot though. I wouldn't mind so much a few strays every now and then, but this is a pain in the ass. The worst are some of the bulls, or mothers with cows. I've been charged by them in the yard and that worries me because I have a 9 year old daughter. I will kill one if I have to and have no problems at all doing it.

I've had to contact the owner of this cattle several times, they are my most frequent visitors. He's a nice fellow and offers to make amends.

My wife keeps hinting around that she wants a sexy new fence up out front. I think I'll go the extra mile and refence the whole place...hmm..wonder how hard it is to install a cattle-guard?

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is gonna sound mean, but me and my 30-06 would claim a couple each year for the freezer. You might as well get something out of the deal.

we've been over this before. unless you can prove it was in self defense, its gonna be a felony to kill one. the projected value of one calf at weaning is gonna be $500+. cows and bulls from $1000-$2000each. sounds like the OP has done the right thing by contacting the owner and LEA.

and like they say, good fences make good neighbors

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a couple of old, cranky female dogs. They tend to shoo/ spook cattle away when their home turf is invaded.

Loose cattle are a real threat to safety in OK. Last summer, a thunderstorm spooked a herd through a fence, then across Hwy 62, just East of Anadarko. A big truck took out 14, IIRC. I rode my motorcycle to work that morning and did a double take as I passed by what looked like large, full black trash bags scattered around on the shoulders, realizing at 80 mph that they actually dead cattle.

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Australian Cattle Dog that I have trained where he won't let a cow on anyplace I have mowed around the house. He's the one in the Center.
ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b357_P97_TyleratFair756.jpg

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, it's predominately the cowman's issue if they are coming down the road to get to you? He should put a lock on the gate. I've had the exact same thing recently, except with horses, and I know it's a major pain.

Also had about that many cows last winter get in through the neighboring fence. It was good enough to keep my horses in, but not good enough to keep his cows out. It was leased out to some guy from around Tulsa, so who knows how to track him down. I went and fixed the fence which is all grown up and needs dozed out, but...

"Good fences make good neighbors" but, that is often a one way road.

Good luck. At least you know who he is and that he's a good fella.

Latest posts

Top Bottom