Cox DOCSIS 3 internet is smokin'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
K, so Cox finally rolled out DOCSIS 3 to OKC. Last night, I'm getting around 15 Mbps downstream. A new modem and a phone call later, I'm getting 73Mbps down, with no additional money going to Cox each month. :thumb:

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which plan are you on? I'm on premier and don't want to pay 99 per month for the ultimate. If it's a heck of a difference, I'm perfectly willing to buy my own docsis 3 modem.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am on the preferred tier (12-15Mbps) and with DOCSIS 3.0 I get Powerboost speeds up to 50Mbps. Sustained downloads are 15-22Mbps. Before DOCSIS 3, I was only getting between 1-3Mbps on sustained downloads due to an overloaded node.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which plan are you on? I'm on premier and don't want to pay 99 per month for the ultimate. If it's a heck of a difference, I'm perfectly willing to buy my own docsis 3 modem.
Cox's site makes it sound like only the Ultimate tier benefits from the DOCSIS 3, but that is not the case. I'm not spending $35 more a month for 100 Mbps (claimed); 75 Mbps is plenty for all my steaming, etc. needs. I'm on Premier, which is the 25 Mbps plan. DOCSIS 3 allows for bonding of channels, which allows for the additional throughput. Just as an FYI, right now only the downstream is bonded - upstream is still single channel, which allows me only about 2.5-3 Mbps (which is plenty for my needs).

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cox's site makes it sound like only the Ultimate tier benefits from the DOCSIS 3, but that is not the case. I'm not spending $35 more a month for 100 Mbps (claimed); 75 Mbps is plenty for all my steaming, etc. needs. I'm on Premier, which is the 25 Mbps plan. DOCSIS 3 allows for bonding of channels, which allows for the additional throughput. Just as an FYI, right now only the downstream is bonded - upstream is still single channel, which allows me only about 2.5-3 Mbps (which is plenty for my needs).

Are those sustained download speeds or powerboost speeds you are reporting? It might be worth me trying out their Premier tier again if those are sustained speeds.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are those sustained download speeds or powerboost speeds you are reporting? It might be worth me trying out their Premier tier again if those are sustained speeds.

It's Powerboost.

I have premier with a DOCSIS 3 Motorola SB6120 and it shows 85Mbps on speed tests, it's just fluff. I get 3200-3600kb/s sustained on downloads... the same I did with a DOCSIS 2 modem. The only thing different between the two is a 50Mbps increase on speed tests due to Powerboost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom