Coyote Regulation Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turkey reg: "Turkeys may not be hunted or taken within 100 yards of any bait."

So we are supposed to call "time out" and look under every tree for scattered corn within 100 yds in each direction before setting up on a bird that suddenly sounds off?

I sure hope the game wardens in OK have more common sense than the regs.

If one is running and gunning, it would be hard to see bait at 100 yds. It would be one heck of a long shot too.

Since my wife feeds the turkey at our house, they are sacred to her, and would be a killing offense if I even thought of taking one.
I can assure you that a baited area would be visible to the naked eye at ranges that turkey are taken. They rake up leaves into piles to get to what is underneath, and scratch the ground bare.

Plus there are enough ethical hunters in the field, that if they saw a baited area, they would report it to the GW. I know I would.

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I can assure you that a baited area would be visible to the naked eye at ranges that turkey are taken."DennisShooddy.

That's good to hear, Dennis. I haven't yet found a turkey lease in my new State of OK, and I'm used to hunting in timber where not much is visible except through shooting lanes. Your answer assumes the bait already has been discovered by turkey and made visible from a distance by raking, or that the visible bait is between the hunter and the bird rather than 70 yards behind the bird or 100 yards off in some non-visible location. That's why I hope the wardens are understanding folks :-)

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
r00s7a, you also have to think about if someone is hunting public land and another hunter decides to dump a couple bags of corn out a week or so before he goes hunting...

RAMS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What tslabaugh said. I wasn't talking about feeders, but on a new property even feeders aren't known about or visible within 100 yards in timbered sections of a new property.
Guess we just take our chances until we get to know a property well.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have always thought that your callers noise was a good bait and or the guys that send out there dogs to lure the coyote in closer was a form of baiting...;). besides i have tried the deer carcus and have had not the best of luck, they usually tear into late at night, those yotes know what i'm too i think. BUT you may have better luck.

has anyone tried this stuff yet as far as having a bait scent---- http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/predator-pile.html

i also have noticed that since ordering a magazine from F&T trapping the amount of lures there are out on the market for coyote...might have to give some of them a try... http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/

i know if the wifes dog has another "accident" on my floor i will have some live bait...he hates being chained up :coffee2:

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nvr, the lures are just for getting a coyotes attention enough to wander around where a trap is set. I guess they could work in the right situation, but the lure won't be enough to have alot of coyotes coming in where it would be easy to shoot them.

The lure is based with coyote gland and will attract them, but the way its typically used is to get a coyote that is walking on his normal route to step off the path to check out the subtle smell. Most coyotes are caught in traps during the night...so you may have the same problem that you did with a deer carcus.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nvr, the lures are just for getting a coyotes attention enough to wander around where a trap is set. I guess they could work in the right situation, but the lure won't be enough to have alot of coyotes coming in where it would be easy to shoot them.

The lure is based with coyote gland and will attract them, but the way its typically used is to get a coyote that is walking on his normal route to step off the path to check out the subtle smell. Most coyotes are caught in traps during the night...so you may have the same problem that you did with a deer carcus.

i gotcha, i was mostly curious in trying to use as maybe a covering scent if i can't maybe play the wind just right and or walking in and out of a place leaving maybe a little different scent behind??? thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom