Credit card compromised

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only happened once to me. My bank called around 8:00 on evening.
There was a small ($1) charge they thought was suspicous.
They put a smack down on it and sent me a new card in a couple days.

Alot of these guys will run the small charges to verify that the card number is valid. Since alot of banks do this also to check accounts, the under 1 dollar amount is always looked at with suspicion because it usually is reversed after confirmation of activity.

This way, they know that they have a valid working number and can run alot of charges thru quickly before it gets shut down.

Dave

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google "Fraud Alert" and set up a fraud alert on your SSN. Happened to us awhile back. You fill out some information and then for 90 days if anyone trys to open any credit at all on your dime they will call you before its approved. They only call the number you give them.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of these guys will run the small charges to verify that the card number is valid. Since alot of banks do this also to check accounts, the under 1 dollar amount is always looked at with suspicion because it usually is reversed after confirmation of activity.

This way, they know that they have a valid working number and can run alot of charges thru quickly before it gets shut down.

Dave

Yup, I seem to remember her saying that.
Glad they are watching my back, and thiers I guess.

Google "Fraud Alert" and set up a fraud alert on your SSN. Happened to us awhile back. You fill out some information and then for 90 days if anyone trys to open any credit at all on your dime they will call you before its approved. They only call the number you give them.

I have Lifelock and they do that.

icedakotart2000

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me, I bought a cold air intake kit on ebay and the next day the bank called me and said that there had been a $2855.00 dollar money transfer from my checking account to a offshore account in the other side of the world. That one hurt, I tried to get the transfer stopped but the band said there was nothing they could do. Needless to say I no longer have a account at that bank.

Latest posts

Top Bottom